9" rear for my G-Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Just because you go with a nine inch don't think your going to be bullet proof. There is still a lot to consider - type of case, bearing size, gears, spines, pinion, and yoke.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I can understand based on cost to upgrade yours and the benefits of a 9" with changing gears changing it. But based on strength you can build an 8.5 to live in your car. People were hitting them and going low 9's high 8's 30 years ago. I ran a 12 bolt in my 3200lbs when everybody said I needed at 9". I hit it with 800 Ftlbs of torque and a trans brake.

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
I envy your setup. That 5th gear in the 600 I believe is a .64 ratio? If so, your gear choices are expanded. What diameter tire are you running? Anything over a 27 inch rear tire, I'd go with a 4.10. I would even consider a 4.30 or 4.56. I know those sound radical, but that thing would be a 'blast' on the street. Yet, it would still give livable revs on the highway using 5th gear.

I have a friend that just put a Currie in his old '65 Chevy, looks really nice. I'm confident most any of the 9 inch builders are a safe bet. Moser and Currie are names that have been doing it for years and can't go wrong with either one.
Yes, the 5th gear is a.64 and 1st is a 2.87 so I'm thinking with a 28" tire a 4.10 would be the best of both worlds.:cool: Thanks

Last edited:

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Full floating axles are typically for full on race applications, whereas semi floaters are better and cheaper for street use. Semis mate to a wheel flange of some sort and are designed to carry the weight of the vehicle where fulls are usually splined on both ends and are dedicated only to applying torque to the wheel. You'll need additional suspension upgrades to carry vehicle weight. Hope that helps.
Yes it does thanks, I had a Quick Change like that once. When you get old you some times forget.:cool: Thanks

Last edited:

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Just because you go with a nine inch don't think your going to be bullet proof. There is still a lot to consider - type of case, bearing size, gears, spines, pinion, and yoke.
Yes, you're right and that's why I'm asking for info. Thinking N case, big bearings, 31 spines, pinion support, billet yoke, and 11 " Disc W/PB. :cool: What else do I need to look at?

Last edited:

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
I can understand based on cost to upgrade yours and the benefits of a 9" with changing gears changing it. But based on strength you can build an 8.5 to live in your car. People were hitting them and going low 9's high 8's 30 years ago. I ran a 12 bolt in my 3200lbs when everybody said I needed at 9". I hit it with 800 Ftlbs of torque and a trans brake.
I thought about building the 81/2 and then I thought sell it and use the money to offset the cost of the built 9". :cool: Thanks for you're input.

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Lots of good info and I want think everyone for chiming in. I want to build my car right.:cool: Any advice is good advice.

Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
The one thing(well not just one) I hate about the G-body is that a "real" rear end is big bucks. Have you considered the Strange S60? I've been looking at it after spec'ing out a 9" full floater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor