96 Silverado running rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Respected_Cutlass

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2009
Smell gas on plugs - hardly idles - throw it in gear and it dies, if it lives give it gas and it dies. Won't start after it dies for a few minutes - No water in engine - Fuel pump is good - replaced plugs and wires, ignition coil is good. Was told to replace distributor and fuel injectors... Saving money for that right now... What else could it be if it weren't the distributor or injectors?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Make sure your fuel pressure regulator isn't ruptured. Pull the vacuum hose and see if there is any raw fuel. There shouldn't be. If the diaphram has ruptured the engine vacuum will draw pressurized fuel directly into the intake. If that checks out OK check your engine coolant temp sensor next. If that fails your truck's ECM will think it's -40F and run extremely rich.

Respected_Cutlass

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2009
I got the manifold off and will pick up on it tomorrow morning. Can anyone point me to a chevy forum that actually has a lot of people? Also, how about a mechanics forum? Thanks

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
DRIVEN said:
Make sure your fuel pressure regulator isn't ruptured. Pull the vacuum hose and see if there is any raw fuel. There shouldn't be. If the diaphram has ruptured the engine vacuum will draw pressurized fuel directly into the intake. If that checks out OK check your engine coolant temp sensor next. If that fails your truck's ECM will think it's -40F and run extremely rich.
Driven you are right on with that technical advice! My 2000 Silverado was having trouble starting and i thought it was the fuel pump so i changed it but it ended being the fuel pressure regulator like you said had gas in it!

Respected_Cutlass

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2009
Yeah, I bet my problem is that engine coolant temp sensor... But I went ahead and bought the injectors, regulator, and the sensor. I would hate to have to take that manifold off again. That was the easy part, tomorrow I will probably have more of a challenge (installing injectors and regulator)... I just pray my hood protected my engine because it started pouring down rain out of no where...

Respected_Cutlass

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2009
Underneath the manifold, it smells like straight gas. Looks like there was a leak... Will replacing the injectors fix this? Also I read there is supposed to be a vaccum hose that goes into the fuel pressure regulator...:D Where the hell is it?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Looks like I gave you some bad info. I forgot that the Vortec system puts the regulator IN the intake manifold not on the outside. There is no hose because it is inside the plenum and is automatically vacuum referenced. I don't know if the regulator is replaceable alone or if it's part of the spider assembly. I would still suspect the regulator because that is most likely suspect. But if you already have the assembly I would replace it anyway. Sorry for the misdirection. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Is there any codes saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor