98~05 Blazer brake upgrade! DONE!

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Yes .i had 1/4 spacers laying around and perfect!.I dont know why I didnt read about this before! .good thing I caught it right away..that's why I'm addicted to this page!.also what's your input on the blaze master.thing it helps?

I didn't change the master cylinder. I did upgrade to the larger S10 rear wheel cylinders at the same time, but there was a huge improvement in braking. I'd say it's mostly the blazer front brakes.

83beater

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2019
Ok ..I do feel the difference right away.and for but the rear I had changed my cylinder a while back without knowing the s10 upgrade.

83beater

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2019
I've heard of similar issues with the sealed bearings. Honestly, I RTV'd the ABS hole closed. I only put 3-4K miles on it a summer, so even if they only last 50 K miles, it will take me a while to wear them out.
It's my daily. So I'm not 100 trusting the junk yard hub..I just finish add some grease to them at least some is better then not knowing how much is in there

BobinHSV

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
I thought that I would detail the costs for this mod using all new parts except the front spindles and rear caliper mount/parking brake assy. I rebuilt the rear parking brake wit all new parts, except for the shoes. They looked new. All parts came from Rock Auto.

For people worrying about bearing/hub assy cost and reliability, I have a '87 Corvette with over 100K miles and 32 years and they are still good. Also, look at price of replacement units. Not much more than bearings and seals.

This is an excellent approach, with all new parts. I didn't include the Master Cylinder or proportioning valve as I had previously changed them. I also had new braided stainless lines.

Do it once and forget.

1554573829048.png

Reactions: 3 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Scored both front and rear disc brake setup from 2WD 2000 Blazer for $150. In addition to rotors, calipers, spindles, backing plates, etc,, I got both (L & R) e-brake cables up to the cable connector which goes to the pedal. Basically, is what I now have a straight bolt onto my '87 El Camino? My '87 has a GN 8.5" rear end setup installed.

I have watched several U Tube University videos which mentions possibly having to relocate the rear shock mounts. With my setup, will this shock relocation mod be necessary?

Lastly, thank you to all contributors who have shared their experience and knowledge. This is one heck of a terrific post!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Chris Chow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2017
Nor Cal
Brakes are done on my TR. Need to bleed them some more. They look spectacular compared to the stock single piston brakes.

Reactions: 1 user

Abe schultz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2019
When yuh do this upgrade donyih need to buy new log nuts or can you use the ones from your g body ? If yuh need to buy new which size do you need to get ?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor