!980 Grand LeMans Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy'boutOlds

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio
Hickson856 said:
I stuck a big car 400 out of 69 into my 80 LeMans and didn't know those adapters even existed. I ended up using the original motor mounts for the engine sitting it into the frame, leveling it and moving the tail on the transmission like others have mentioned to get it to line up, marked the perimeter of the motor mount with a soapstone onto the frame, pulled the motor back out, made some measurements, drilled new holes and bolted the mounts in that way. I know the way I did it sounds rediculous and that's cause it probably is, but it sits pretty now.
And as far as the front frame of your lemans, if its still not sitting right, as others have mentioned keep moving it this way and that, making sure the transmission is lining up right and every thing is still operable (shifter linkage, I had to move my motor forwards so that still worked without hitting), and it seemed as though the frame that the motor sits in isn't symmetrical, maybe it's just me or the frustration level I had reached but it seemed that where you have the absolute center of the frame, the angle that goes up to the left to the frame rail didn't match the angle that went up to the right. Check it out for yourself, I did it with a level and a plumb-bob but like I said, at this point I could've just reached a point of haziness where nothing seemed to make sense.

Do you have pictures of this? I purchased some frame mounts and I'm going to try and use this method instead.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
" I purchased some frame mounts and I'm going to try and use this method instead." Another trick is to spray paint the area, remove motor and then see the outline of the mounts so you can drill. Another is to tack weld the mounts in place, then remove motor and drill. Of course this whole exercise is much easier when you are using just a bare short block/transmission for mockup purposes.

crazy'boutOlds

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio
Well, after a long winter, I was able to work on her a little, Found out why it was idling so high. The stud that holds the air cleaner on was down in the carb hold the throttle plates wide open. She runs smooth now. Still need to fing out if the starter wires are ran from the front of the engine. The all seem to be resting on the exhaust manifold. I have them ran like an Olds v8.
Still sitting high on the F-body mounts, but the hood clears the air cleaner. I don't think it's clearing the fan though.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
hey crazy`boutolds, speaking of engine mounts. This last weekend I finally installed the 350sbc in my cutlass chassis with the mounts I purchased from you last fall. It bolted right in without a single hitch :D .
Thanks again
deanlemans81

crazy'boutOlds

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio
Well, one step forward, two steps back.
After getting everything buttoned up, I went to check for leaks and low and behold the darn expansion plug is leaking! :evil:
I'll have to pull it out and replace ALL of them. Even the little one in the cylinder head is leaking :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor