!980 Grand LeMans Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
It's got to be closer. Does it look like it will go now?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Try raising/lowering/twisting the transmission tail from side to side to line it up?

Hickson856

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2012
I stuck a big car 400 out of 69 into my 80 LeMans and didn't know those adapters even existed. I ended up using the original motor mounts for the engine sitting it into the frame, leveling it and moving the tail on the transmission like others have mentioned to get it to line up, marked the perimeter of the motor mount with a soapstone onto the frame, pulled the motor back out, made some measurements, drilled new holes and bolted the mounts in that way. I know the way I did it sounds rediculous and that's cause it probably is, but it sits pretty now.
And as far as the front frame of your lemans, if its still not sitting right, as others have mentioned keep moving it this way and that, making sure the transmission is lining up right and every thing is still operable (shifter linkage, I had to move my motor forwards so that still worked without hitting), and it seemed as though the frame that the motor sits in isn't symmetrical, maybe it's just me or the frustration level I had reached but it seemed that where you have the absolute center of the frame, the angle that goes up to the left to the frame rail didn't match the angle that went up to the right. Check it out for yourself, I did it with a level and a plumb-bob but like I said, at this point I could've just reached a point of haziness where nothing seemed to make sense.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
I take it that your reply in the other post offering the 301 mounts up for sale means that you've given up on the Pontiac motor? That's too bad...

crazy'boutOlds

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio
No, they were the same ones I already have.
It's been raining for the last 7 days here, so it's on hold 'til this weekend.
I'm going to try and loosen up the mounts and hope that works.

crazy'boutOlds

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio
I finally got he darn thing in :banana:
Now I have two days to button up everything.
I'll take a pic in the morning. It seems to be sitting crooked(spelling).
Hopefully it will look correct when all is tightened down.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
crazy'boutOlds said:
I finally got he darn thing in :banana:
Now I have two days to button up everything.
I'll take a pic in the morning. It seems to be sitting crooked(spelling).
Hopefully it will look correct when all is tightened down.

What ended up being the problem?

crazy'boutOlds

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio
I'm not quite sure. I have the bolts threw the mounts, but now, I can't get them to line up with the welded nut on the other side?
I loosened one mount and was able to wiggle it in to get the bolts threw the front side of the engine mount.
I got the driveshaft backe in, frame extension bolted in, dual hump crossmember and transmission mount installed, linkage and speedo cable.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
If you just have to line up the weld nut so it will thread, it should all be downhill now. There's a lot of ways to do it. A buddy with a pry bar, block of wood & floor jack under the oil pan for a slight lift, engine hoist hooked up to the problem side to lift it a little, maybe jack up the trans a little? Just play around with it. The hard part is over. These cars have years of wear, twisting & tweaking on them so things don't always just line right up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor