009-1.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

This is what i'm working with.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
I think you have the motor brackets on the wrong side of the motor. They need to be flip flopped. The nuts need to be to the rear of the motor. The long bolts push through from the front.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
"I think you have the motor brackets on the wrong side of the motor. They need to be flip flopped. The nuts need to be to the rear of the motor. The long bolts push through from the front." I agree. And in real PITA cases I have loosened all the mounting bolts, wiggled and waggled to get the block installed, then went back and tightened them. And THAT'S a PITA.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
The black parts for sure. I've never used the adapters, so I'm not sure there. I compared your pictures to one of my blocks and they seem like the are probably correct, or even could be used on either side.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Isn't this that Frankenstein motor with the '69 block, '73-'74 heads, and '71-'72 exhaust manifolds? That's the great part about Pontiac V-8's, interchangeability. I know they used the low-comp heads to run on cheap gas but the missing-bolt-exhaust manifolds baffles me unless they were needed for a particular chassis. FWIW a buddy got stuck trying to stuff a '69 big car 400 into a '78 Firebird and had the same trouble with the adapters as you. He ended up loosening the bolts until it was in and then had a b*tch of a time re-tightening them.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Don't get bummed out over it, look on the bright side. It's easier to play with mount & bracket orientation than having to fabricate something. You'll get there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor