A/C problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dstratt01

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2010
When I bought the car the ac wasn't working. So far nothing has changed. Here's the thing, I figured it was just like any other original ac unit and that all of the r12 had just leaked out. So when I found out one of my buddies had a thing of r12 we went ahead and tried to charge the lines. When I took the cap off of the lines I found that the lines still had plenty of pressure. So now I'm back to square one. Why is it not blowing cold? Would it be something electrical? Because when I turn on the ac it doesn't even sound like the compressor is on or working

86Olds442

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
There are many things that can be wrong with an A/C system. Easiest thing to start with is the fuse for the A/C compressor. If that's ok, pressure check the system. (You need a set of A/C gauges for R12 if that's what is actually still in the system) If the system pressure is ok, test for voltage at the connector on the A/C compressor. That should be 12 volts with the A/C on. If that gets voltage, then the most likely culprit is the compressor clutch, or the compressor itself. If you are not getting voltage to the compressor, the next thing to try is to unplug the connector on the drier and run a jumper on it. With the car running and the A/C on, see if that will start the compressor. Do not leave the jumper on that connector even if it starts the A/C. You can burn out your compressor that way. Replace the switch it it is the cause. I hope that all of this made sense to you and can help. If none of this works, or you cannot do all of this, it's time to go to a mechanic that handles A/C.

Dstratt01

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2010
Yeah, I intern for a mechanics shop and so I asked one of my buddies who works there about it and he said we would look at it here pretty soon. But the tips seem very helpful and I will probably try some of those tonight. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 159
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor