BUILD THREAD A LIGHTLY toasted 1979 Buick Turbo Century

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I have a thread already going in General discussion but thought I better start a build thread. Today is the start of a 7-9 day mega thrash which will include me meeting up with the guy to get it pulled out of the woods and delivered to my house. Meeting him in a couple hours. Hopefully we can get this done today. This will be all video uploads with commentary. I have all the parts collected that burned in the engine compartment fire except both plastic inner fenders and a left front fender. I have these located but going next week to get. Here's the plan = Not doing any restoration work right now. Going to be swapping burnt parts for dirty good used parts. Going to pull engine/ trans and disassemble the engine. If engine checks out OK, I will proceed with a re sealing of the engine and freshening the needed mechanical parts. At the end of the 7 to 9 days, I'd like to have a complete car that will start on the key and possibly move under it's own power. I WILL strip it apart in a couple years to do a frame off restoration but for now it has to wait. If you follow my threads I'm a bit busy with several projects around here. I know the engine is not stuck and oil is on the dip stick to the full mark. I have most of the needed new parts here including seals, gaskets, and a timing chain. I still have not received my engine gasket kit from Summit but got the intake gasket set yesterday. This car will eventually be a light resto mod style build like my 78 Olds Salon 442 clone I built. If you have not seen that car, click on the youtube link in my signature, click on videos, then scroll to the vey bottom. I've been building and restoring cars since the early 90s. This still does not make me an expert but I get by. I will post a video tonight of it being pulled from it's grave site. Here is the video I shot of the Century when I traded for it about 7 months ago.

Reactions: 5 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I want to make it clear = I'm on a very small budget for this. I do not have the money to do a complete engine rebuild so I'm hoping the engine is OK enough for just a reseal job. If the engine is shot, the 7-9 day thrash on the car is shot too.

Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The window is down so you must have gotten the doors open.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Congratulations! Looking forward to the next video. As Driven mentioned, good to see that you got the doors unlocked. It was sunk in there pretty far, wasn't it?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I got a guy that does windshields for like a hundred or a hundred and ten bucks LOL. I didnt see any skid marks so assume the wheels all roll. Did you get it started yet ? A car left in the dirt up here would be sitting on the frame in rot by now. Good luck with your endevour

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
The cars gonna need rust repair but not doing any right now. Going to gut the interior and pull the engine/trans. The interior is a biohazard so it's getting trashed. Getting all the parts removed for a bath will make a big difference.

Reactions: 3 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Wow, you've made progress already. Good work! Its a great thing, finding that build sheet. I hope you are able to remove it intact. I didn't know that GM only built 61 of those turbo sport coupes that year. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you though. Even in the semi darkness, that interior looks pretty nasty. I hope the neighbourhood cats have a good orgy in there. Looking forward to your updates. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor