a motor that got HOT...

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Sorry, I miss stated that. It starts. It probably won't make it more then a block or two. Kinda sounds like pistons are tryn to share cylinders. As far as why I wanna fix it. I've been looking around and can't find another in even close to as nice of shape for under $3000 which, according to Kelly Blue Book private party value is about what it's worth.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, keep shopping around for another engine then. It's not an uncommon engine, one should turn up.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
EBay? Craigslist within 100 miles of home?

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
Just an idea, but if you don't have emissions to mess with up there, then maybe you could stick a carburated v6 or v8 in it. That might affect the transmission though, so maybe that's not a great cheap way out. If you have nothing to lose than maybe just take the one you have out and try and rebuild it yourself. Don't you work at a junkyard or towwing service or something like that? I'm sure you got some friends that will help or if not I'm sure you can get some help from us. I just put a rebuilt 4.3 in my 88 S10 after the one in it broke the crankshaft right behind the first main bearing. I was still able to drive it ten miles home and move it around my property. If I were to do it again I would have sold the carcus and saved the many headaces, cash and time. Mine spiraled out of control to were I've put so much money into it now that I can't stop now. I also wished that I had listen to everyone and stuck a V8 in it. A lot of people acturally report better gas milage than with the V6. I'm still breaking mine in but I'm only getting a little over 20mpg..

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I've been watching ebay and craigslist. Unfortunately I live in the middle of no where and I can't find one closer then about 500 miles. I've also been pondering on the thought of a V8, in fact the Astro guys say if I stick with the same year 350 TBI out of a truck and grab the computers I can make it work using mostly stock wiring. Only thing is those are the same group of people who couldn't answer my question as to what the easiest way to get the V6 out of the damn thing in the first place :lol: So I dunno yet. And like I said dependability, I want all the electronics to work right as well (transmission, awd, a/c ect...). Stupid Astrovan..... :roll:

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
That's what I heard. But I'm gonna be working in a single stall garage with no lift and mostly hand tools :(

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
get yourself a nice 3 ton floor jack and 2 large axle stands & that should get you enough clearance....if I lived any closer I'd give you a hand....

opening the beer while you do the work.... 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor