a motor that got HOT...

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I'd appreciate the hand, drinking beer, try'n to not throw tools at it :lol: looks I'll be waitin with it till spring :cry:

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I've never owned an Astrovan, but doesn't it have a full frame, meanind the motor has to come out through the passenger door?

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
On the 94 and older Astros you could remove the core support. 95 and newers are welded. Got to cut it with a sawz all or equivalent and use a GM service bracket kit to bolt it back together. Shitty I know lotsa bare metal to rust! :cry:

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
itsnotanova said:
I've never owned an Astrovan, but doesn't it have a full frame, meanind the motor has to come out through the passenger door?

Nope. I've always assumed they were but they are uni-body.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
Now i see why you got it for $250!!! The more I hear about your astro the more I say to forget about it. I'm a little bias though, because it seems like I'm working on every other vehicle but my malibu. My vote is for parting out the astro, getting some cash together and finding a beater on craigslist.

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
pontiacgp said:
midwestls said:
Yeah, it's defiantly more then a spark knock unfortunately. I guess I don't get why it still has good power!?

I had a 2.8 come into the shop when I was working in FL and it had a busted crank at the 2nd main journal and I mean the crank was broken in 2 pieces........and it wasn't towed in, he drove it in with it knocking and the pulley wobbling...
I bought an 84 Cutlass in 1999 with a 3.8 and had the same problem... It barely ran, crank in 2.....

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
Changing motors and wiring should not be to hard. I believe GM uses 1 harness for all wires on newer vehicles, correct me if I am wrong. Thats what I have heard while looking for info on a V-8 ford swap. I did a V-6 2.9 to V-8 5.0 swap in an old 88 Ranger(keeping the EFI). I had the truck and complete donor car for parts. All in all I had to mate 10 wires to the original Ranger harness to get it to work. Ford runs the computer by itself and all other stuff in another harness. Now I did not do any neutral saftey or reverse light stuff so that saved me a jumper and 3 wires. Was not a bad swap if you have the parts and info. Hope this might help but since it is Ford probally not.....
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor