a motor that got HOT...

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaZe

Greasemonkey
Aug 16, 2008
Uncletruck said:
I know a guy who is a retired GM dealership mechanic. He replaced engines in those Astro vans frequently due to overheating. It usually gets the head gaskets before the bearings go, so if the bearings are gone, I would venture on the whole engine being toast, and probably not worth doing a bearing job just to find out. When this mechanic got an Astro and heard it had overheated badly, he just recommended replacing the engine because if he didn't, the vans would just keep coming back with more engine problems soon down the road. He replaced more 4.3 engines in Astros than any other GM vehicle during his career.

-UT-
Not to be a dick or anything, but it sounds like any other dealer trying to make a lot more money off nothing. A lot of them try to convince you that you have something wrong or more than just a simple fix to make more money for themselves and their dealership. I don't know anyone who would be stupid enough to have a dealership throw a new engine in their car, especially an Astro. If it is having problems, just dump it on someone else and get a new car.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Alot of times people do tend to want to fix their cars. Not "just dump it off" on someone else. Basicly that makes you sound as crooked as the shops your try'n to criticize. Has your car ever had a problem???? Thats what I thought. Hummm why do you still have it? And just think if everybody thought like that, who sold you your car? Just something to think about.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I do agree however that sometimes shops will try to pull one over on you to make that money. But in this case, especially since it's the mechanic that was recommending it. You know the guy that has to do the work. Everyone in the auto industry know's that nobody 'wants' to have to put a motor in an Astrovan. NOBODY. Also alot of people do not know how to work on cars, therefore they have to take it to the shop right? Cars break. And if you do know how to fix cars, in most case's, it wouldn't go to the shop you'd fix it yourself.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I think it has to do with getting it fixed right the first time. You could just put some new bearings on it and hope it is fixed for good and no other problems appear. You never know if there is a crack that has decided not to show any signs of being there, but might show up in a 1,000 miles after you fix it.

Its up to you if you want to take the risk or not.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, my first instinct is to say it's GM. EVERYTHING interchanges, but that may not be the case. I would try checking the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets to see if they use the same part number. If so, they can be interchanged. As for the crank position sensor, see if the timing covers use the same gaskets too, then check to see if the cams are interchangeable. If so, it is likely the parts like the reluctor wheel will bolt to the cam in the later engine, but it may require a special timing gear. Then again, the reluctor wheel may be external and read off the crank flange in which case, make sure the crank is the same using the same "Autozone.com" method described earlier. It's sad that they do not use the Ford Windsor crank sensor method, which replaces the distributor with a cam angle sensor that fits the timing cover the same way as a distributor.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Well I obviously don't wanna do it half *ss. Just the most practical way, money wise. But I do plan on using it as my daily driver. Come on I live in ND where we get snow and sh*t! lol AWD is the way to be up here. So dependability is my only option there. The rest of the van has 100k on it, 9k on the transmission (new), and the whole front end was replaced/rebuilt from side to side last summer. If I could afford it I'd just buy it a new long block. But I can't so I gotta make due as best I can. I've got a little cushion on the cost vs value because I only paid $250 for the van last fall. Heres a pic again for those who haven't seen it yet...
normal_95_astro.jpg

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
They used different fuel injection set-ups. That being said IF you can switch intakes you might be ok. Then again there may be other differences. I would want both engines sitting in front of me before i went to far.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Yeah, I'm just noticing for the first time 96 uses SFI, 95 uses CPI. Different distributors. Different; plugs, cam, heads, even the oil pan and gasket are different. Ok I give up already. I can already see where this is going. It ain't going to work.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
midwestls said:
Well I obviously don't wanna do it half *ss. Just the most practical way, money wise. But I do plan on using it as my daily driver. Come on I live in ND where we get snow and sh*t! lol AWD is the way to be up here. So dependability is my only option there. The rest of the van has 100k on it, 9k on the transmission (new), and the whole front end was replaced/rebuilt from side to side last summer. If I could afford it I'd just buy it a new long block. But I can't so I gotta make due as best I can. I've got a little cushion on the cost vs value because I only paid $250 for the van last fall. Heres a pic again for those who haven't seen it yet...

if you only paid 250 for it why not piece it out and find yourself another ride....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor