BUILD THREAD A Teenager and His Malibu Wagon.

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
I'm so terrible at keeping this up to date.
Back in November my blower fan went out and maybe 3 days later the heater core blew up on my way to school. Re routed my heater hoses to make a loop instead of going through the heater core. Drove it to school and back. Ordered a new one from Rockauto and went to a junkyard and pulled a blower motor from a newer Malibu if I remember correctly.
Rear hatch seal replacement for the wagon guys!
I remember reading somewhere on an old forum post someone was talking about finding a replacement but there was no definitive answer. I can no confirm the rear hatch seal from a 1996-200 Chrysler town& country or a 1996-2000 Dodge caravan will work well on our wagons. I pulled one at the same junkyard I got the blower motor from for like $5. Ripped my original half missing seal off and slapped on the new seal from the minivan. I had to cut maybe 2 feet or so off of the seal but it fits perfectly along the corners and seals well. The channel of the seal that goes over the pinch weld was a little loose in the corners. So I took some pliers and closed up the slot of the seal a little. No leaks at all anymore! If anyone wants pictures let me know.

Back the the heating issues. Put in the new heater core and it was a little smaller than the original for some reason so i used some rubber/foam stuff to fill up the gaps. Used butyl sealing strip along the box to replace the old dried out seal. Painted the blower motor I got from the junkyard and put it all back together. Works great again.

IMG-5069.jpg
IMG-5070.jpg
IMG-5632.jpg
IMG-5631.jpg

Got a good deal on a K&N open element filter for $25, so had to pick that up.For Christmas my parents got me some new taillights and for my birthday in January they got me a black 100% dash cover! The taillights look so much better and I haven't decided if I want to pull the dash out to put on the dash cap or leave it in.
Ill make another post this week If I can remember about my new transmission and rear end.
IMG-5073.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Good to know about the seal working. Very difficult to find proper weather strip for the 80's cars.

Stance is really nice, good looking project.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor