A Very Sad Day.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
"Maybe you should ask your dad to stop "helping" you."---DRIVEN

Im starting to think the same thing
Begining to wonder how he made a living as a mechanic ... i Love him to death though.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
WyoKid said:
Where can i get a cheap motor... i dont even care what it is at this point
Definatley NOT the way to go looking for an engine. The term "cheap" doesnt belong in the same sentence as Oldsmobile....atleast around me. That being said it shouldnt be too hard to find a 307 that someone yanked out for a 350(chevy or Olds).

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
found me a motor for $300. out of a 86 pontiac,141000miles.--- was just torn out of the car on the 26, im just gettin a stock 307

My instructor sent me to StoysTownAuto..... hes been doing business with them for over 20 years-- They got recomendations. they'll even deliver the motor to my school. NO complaints from me ,Motor comes with warrenty

i meant cost not quality----- i know, to find somthing cheap and of quality is hard to find... saying an classic Oldsmobile is cheap,is just like you said, wrong... Oldsmobile isn't experimental Caddilac for nothin!

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Offer $100 for the motor. $300 for a high milage swirl port 307 is pretty steep.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
$100 for a complete motor? why so cheap? whatever you know please tell so i can learn...cause i will offer that i just wanna know why im offering that.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
WyoKid said:
$100 for a complete motor? why so cheap? whatever you know please tell so i can learn...cause i will offer that i just wanna know why im offering that.

supply and demand...lots of 307s coming out of cars and very few going back in.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
WyoKid said:

Because it's a sh*t motor with 141k on it. If you don't buy it from this guy, most likely no one else is ever going to. Tell the guy he can take your $100 right now, or go through the trouble of scrapping it and then get even less for it.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
SBO motors are not easy to find...but they are out there. Craigslist is a good start. You may have to travel a bit or have it shipped. But I rarely see them for more than 500.00 bucks for a complete running engine. I just had mine rebuilt because I wanted to see the internals of this engine and to inspect it. Good thing I did, cause the oil pick up was full of left over nylon timing gear bits. Also, it had a few bad valves too. So, for around 1500.00 for the engine/trans/parts and my own labor, I swapped out the buick 6banger for a the real deal and I cant be more satisfied. Only wish I had the funds at the time to build the engine to w-31 specs...but its still miles ahead of what it was before. I say be patient, find a good motor for a good price, rebuild it if needed, and swap it. You wont regret it.... :mrgreen:

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
What you have to look for if you want an engine cheap is for a situation where someone in an urban area is being forced to remove the car bc of parking violations/space or not paying a bill & the car is worthless... In the country you will just find guys camping out at high prices bc they can just put a tarp over it and ask a high price all day. The situation you encounter is the only way you can make a cheap price happen. A good donor car that gets scrapped alot is the Riviera which has 307 also.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Really, $300 for a complete engine with a warranty, delivered to you at school isn't bad. Sure, you could keep looking and maybe find something cheaper at some point or you could just pay the $300 and get on with life. My suggestion would be to replace the oil pan and valve cover gaskets and give it a fresh coat of paint. Maybe a timing set if it looks like no one has done it yet. Resist the urge to go any deeper or make any "upgrades". Good luck with your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor