About to upgrade my 7.5...please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
cat herder, thanks for pointing those out. I know that moser has eliminators for the 7.5 when using their axles, but I don't have any experience with rear ends so I can't make observations like that. These are the mistakes I'm talking about in which I afford to make. I totaly missed that info on moser's site. Thanks again.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Those smaller 7.5" spider gears/posi and axles, to a certain extent, are the weak spots.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Good luck with your build....however I will say this, what will you do with that beefed up 7.5 junk rear when you want to go bigger and faster, and trust me you will...Been there, done that...With that being said, screw the 9" and find a good 12 bolt from a 66-72 A-Body 12 bolt, buy it, install it and forget about it...they are pretty much a bolt in deal....You can also have a good 8.5 rear needing nothing ( true bolt in ) for a grand or so..... 8)

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
olds307 and 403 said:
Those smaller 7.5" spider gears/posi and axles, to a certain extent, are the weak spots.
I'm upgrading to 28 spline axles, the same spline count in a stock 8.5. The Trutrac eliminates the need for spider gears. So theoreticaly I have fixed the weak spots.

JBreu said:
however I will say this, what will you do with that beefed up 7.5 junk rear when you want to go bigger and faster, and trust me you will...
The truth is, I really don't want to go bigger. This is my daily driver and the only racing will be on the street. Might take it to the track to get some official times, but even then I'm not going to run it balls to the wall. I've invested a lot of time and money into my motor and am hoping to get ten years of service from it before I think about changing it up. Plus, with as much as I spend on gas right now, I don't even want to think about what larger CIDs would cost me. Another thing is, as much as people are telling me that the 7.5 is junk, I kinda want to beef it up just to prove it will work. Especially after reading a handfull of articles and posts by full on drag racers who claim it can work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor