About to upgrade my 7.5...please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
I've weighed my options and upgrading the 7.5 is going to happen. Please don't reply with comments saying I should get a 9" because I just signed a hefty student loan and with new brakes it's not in my budget. I have a 385 stroker with a th400, no idea of the hp/torque output (engine or at the wheels) yet, but it's definately less than 500hp. I'd say 400hp at best since that's what the builder estimated. I'm looking for some guidance because I don't want to waste money on labor (I don't have the time to try and do this myself or afford to make mistakes) or parts, but I don't want to waste money on overkill if I don't have to. This is my daily driver btw, after the swap I developed wheel hop and want to be prepared for winter since I now have much more torque.

I have UMI upper and lower control arms with roto joints waiting to be installed. New housing bushings, cover and 28 spline axles are no brainers. Timken install kit seems to be a standard? And I've been reading about using a solid spacer instead of the pinion support crush sleeve?

What about C-clip eliminators? I've read that they have a tendancy to leak and aren't really for use on street cars. I'm also hearing that they're neccassary if i'm planning on doughnuts and burnouts, which I know will happen.

Differential...it's down to either a Detroit Trutrac or Torsen T-2R. T-2R has a higher bias of 4:1 and a higher price of $675. I'm reading that the T-2R is basically the sh*t and worth the extra dough. However, the only opinions I can find on google are from auto cross/ drag racers. The Detroit has a 3:1 ratio, $390 tag, and I'm reading that there is a tendancy of only one tire to spin from all types of forums.

Experienced opinions are greatly appreciated.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Get ready to step up to 28 spline axles and a 7 5/8" posi and girdle cover. I have heard many good things about the torsen, only 28 spline axle posi, took 300+ hp factory in the F bodies. I broke the pins on my no slip with slicks. I just blew up the spider gears on my 7.5", took out the pinion and girdle cover. By the time you get aftermarket axles, new gears, posi and girdle cover plus set up, won't be far off the price off a 9" and much weaker. I am at around 275 hp/350 tq. Do you trust a ticking time bomb?

cat herder

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2012
Wheel hop will break even a 31 spline 9", even on street tires. I've done it. No matter which direction you go with the upgrade fixing that issue is a MUST.

cat herder

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2012
If you don't do anything that will break an axle, c-clips are fine. Besides I'm not aware of an eliminator kit that works with the weird 3-bolt 7.5" housing ends.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
cat herder said:
If you don't do anything that will break an axle, c-clips are fine. Besides I'm not aware of an eliminator kit that works with the weird 3-bolt 7.5" housing ends.
getting strange or moser axles, both have an eliminator kit for their axles

cat herder

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2012
http://www.moserengineering.com/moser/faq/#answer6

Can I use c-clip eliminators for street use?

A. We do NOT recommend using C-Clip Eliminators for street use; a C-Clip Eliminator is made for drag race only ( As a safety issue so you do not loose an axle, if it breaks ).C-Clip Eliminators are made for the straight shot down the strip. If you use C-Clip Eliminators on the street the aluminum block will eventually flex from cornering or just going around curves causing the C-Clip Eliminator to leak Rearend fluid.

Even ignoring that, I don't know how you bolt a 'universal' ("GM 10 Bolt & 12 Bolt axles except Impalas & Trucks") 4-bolt c-clip eliminator to the one-big-bolt-two-little-bolts flange on the stock 7.5" housing. Unless the kits require changing the housing ends, and they just forget to mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor