Accidently bought 1970 10 bolt A body rear instead of g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagynamite

n00b
Jul 21, 2014
As the title sais i got a A body instead of G by accident. Is it worth it to try to make it work? Or do i try and re sell it to get a g body replacement. Car is an 87 regal, how much do i need to make the a body work? Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That rear end is 4.5" wider than a G body rear but it will fit. UMI has the conversion uppers. I assume it being a 10 bolt it's an 8.2". I have a 1967 8.2 which is 2.5" wider then the G body rear in my GP and I have 4.5" backspace with 255-50-17 tires front and back. JBrue has the same width rear with as you A body rear in his Monte but he has the 12 bolt version.

Allcleanedup018-1-1.jpg

Vagynamite

n00b
Jul 21, 2014
Ok so i will only need the uppers? I found them for 200.
The lowers will fit? Do i need to move the shock spring mounts?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I believe the lowers fit. JBrue is using the stock lowers as far as I know. You won't have to move the spring mounts. The spring perch sits more forward than the stock perch but that doesn't affect the spring other then a little ride height difference.

Vagynamite

n00b
Jul 21, 2014
Awesome! Thanks for your help i will start fitting my A body rear opposed to just junkin it for an exact match. Are there any strength difference between 8.5 inch a bodie diff and a g body 7.5"?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
yes, the shaft for the 8.5 is 1" shorter. If you have to get yours cut the price of a new tube isn't much. They can use your end yokes and they balance it anyway when the cut the 1" off. I didn't get a new tube for mine when I got it cut and I'm still wondering what I was thinking getting an old tube cut and balanced...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor