afr heads on 400 sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanelco

Apprentice
May 9, 2007
the 400 i have now makes around 375 horspower. 9.0:1 i believe, forged pistons, cast iron heads with steam holes and comp cams hydraulic flat tappet cam with what i think is a .480-.500 lift. lopey as hell and the car wont stop even with a vacuum canister, but im not sure. comp cams roller tip rockers, roller lifters, an edelbrock torker two intake and an msd pro billet and a 6al 2 box. im wondering what power increases i will see with a set of afr street eliminator series heads. 195cc chambered 2.02 heads and keeping my valve train the same for now. i also heard puting a thinner gasket will bump compression up as well. im going to go with cometic gaskets but i havent figured out the thickness yet. if anybody has a ballpark figure of what this set up will make i would appreciate it. thanks.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I'm not gonna guess at how much more it will make, but i think it would be worth it if you heads now are just stockers. And I'd also ditch the torker intake for at least a performer rpm. Just my opinion.

ryanelco

Apprentice
May 9, 2007
thanks for the advice. a few people have told me that about the intake. im gonna try and find a rpm air gap and bolt it on and see which one i like better. i was told the torker 2 was first manufactured in the 70's as a replacement for smog vehicles. maybe ill have it ported instead.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
dont waste you time with the torker intake. AFR's are great heads but giving a HP number for you is going to be tough.

ryanelco

Apprentice
May 9, 2007
thanks. im taking the motor to the machine shop at work. i work for a local speed shop and they build motors as well. gonna have them take a look at it and help me pair up the best combo for the motor. im going to be doing a roller cam in the next year but for now the heads are my main concern.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
i have the 195 afr heads on my 408 sbc and they work great !!!! i have 11:1 compression and a biger cam then you,i dynoed my motor at 551 hp at the crank

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor