AFTERMARKET AIR CLEANER

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysons80elcamino

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2012
Does anyone know what options i have for my sons camino, i am looking for an aftermarket air cleaner for it, maybe chrome but it has the crazy triangle shaped mount on the top of the carb, not the standard circle is there a air cleaner i can use or maybe an adapter to make one fit... any help please...

the car is stock so its the stock dualjet carb.. have a holley 650cfm but im told this is to big for the little 267 v8..

thanks

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
The Mr Gasket one that most autoparts places sell is nice. And very inexpensive. Comes with the filter too! The best way I can think of to adapt it is to buy a chunk of sheet metal, a thin one, and use tin snips to make it into a circle just bigger in diameter then the hole in the air cleaner. Then snip some slits and fold small edges up around perimeter. Then with a drill make three holes in the pattern of the dual jet carb opening and use the tin snips to cut out a hole in the middle of your circle. Should take 30 minutes and last forever.

I think the tin pie plate that comes with a Mrs. Smith's pie would be an ideal metal to try. It is going to be malleable enough to bend and cut, and strong enough I think to hold the cleaner in place. Maybe use two of them and some epoxy resin to glue them together?

Here is the "Real" thing. $8 bucks. And you can use ANY four barrel Gm air cleaner you want

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-6400/

mysons80elcamino

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2012
Well holy sh$$ im ordering one right now... how the hell did i not find that i searched for days looking for something like that.. .

I owe you one. THANKS

mysons80elcamino

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2012
just a heads up for anyone wanting to get that part... good luck
i had to call like 10 different places to find it. Nobody has it in stock. AND THE PEOPLE AT MR GASKET ARE A#^holes
i told them that i called 10 different places that supposedly have the part and none did and ask if i could buy one from them they basically told me to piss off they only sell to distributors. and they could provide me a list of them, the list was 3/4 of the people i already called...

hope the product is better than the customer service...lol

finally found it at northernautoparts.com

J3

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2009
East TX
If anybody else wants one of these, Proform makes one. Or at least they used to. I bought one on ebay several years ago and they are still selling them there: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Cleaner-Ada ... cc&vxp=mtr

These work pretty well assuming you are using an air cleaner smaller than 14" diameter. In my case, the positioning of the carb caused the air cleaner to hit the distributor, so I had to use 1.5" spacer or so on top of the adapter so that it would clear.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
You could also possibly cut part of the base of a dual jet air cleaner assembly out & either weld OR screw or rivet & adhere a new cleaner base to it. Spectre also has some interesting air cleaner options, such as air cleaner hat, poiished piping & remote mount conical filters Which can be run to pickup more cool air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor