Aftermarket Cruise Control? '87 CS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
So after looking at the service manual I figured I'd see if I could go poke around a bit and see if I can figure out an easy answer why the cruise control isn't working on Project Blue Book. I go out there, pop the hood, and the first thing I notice, is what isn't there... the big vacuum servo and linkage. Mmmm OK.

There's a big box where the vac reservoir should be, if I read this right, with another cable that is very loosely attached to the throttle linkage. wtf? I haven't pulled the under-dash panel to see if there's an actual GM cruise module under there yet. It looks like there are two holes where maybe the vac tank should be, but I can't seem to tell where the servo bracket would go, apart from only one empty hole on the manifold. But yet my turn signal stalk looks GM and has the cruise controls on it. For the record I did think it looked odd, but maybe thought it was a later year style/setup or something....

....Long story short, anyone have the RPO codes that would tell me if this thing is supposed to have cruise control or not? Is this a 100% aftermarket retrofit or did the cruise break and some well-meaning mechanic replace it with something that really shouldn't be there? Here are some pix, maybe somebody knows what I'm looking at. Anyone?

If the car's not supposed to have cruise at all, that's cool, I'll just take it all off and not worry about it, otherwise, blah, I have to figure out what I need to put it back right!

Hey what's missing here? The factory cruise setup! CRAP

IMG_1748.JPG

Here's a closeup of the way this cable is connected to the throttle linkage. Just tied around the end with what might be a fishing line sinker clamped on as a stop.

IMG_1756.JPG

And this is what looks like the brains of the operation, mounted on the DS wheelhouse. It looks like the wiring comes from inside, the brake booster hose is tapped for vaccuum (might be a clue) and there's a big wad of wire next to it (another clue?)

Like I said, I didn't crawl up under the dash to see if the original module is there on the acc. pedal or not.... No idea if any of this even belongs here.

IMG_1755.JPG

Anyone recognize this?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
from my build thread, just for reference in case someone gets here a different route:

So after doing a little RPO # lookingup.... I don't think this thing had cruise from the factory. I find RPO codes:

E7Z 6398 P SSS M SENSOR VEH SPD - DELETE 980618 E E E A
E5Z 6326 P SPA M ADAPTER SPEEDO - DELETE 980618 E E E A

both of which if I am right are necessary parts for cruise to function, but there seems to be an intermediate "adapter" for cruise on my speedo cable, floating loose under the brake booster.... I don't find any of the codes for a cruise option actually on my sticker. But you never know. I will pull the under-the-dash cover (still can't believe its there!) and have a look tonight. If the module isn't there, that crap is coming off. Then I'll have to rip the column apart, find the correct stalk and do that :mad::mad::mad: who did this! argh.

after doing some more googling and stuff, I'm positive this is an addon, but like I said, I'll check for sure. I wonder if the dealer may have put this on as a "oh yeah sure we'll add that no problem" and then had the GM switch put in with a cheapo kit tacked on. Probably along with the add-on vinyl top lol.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Definitely an add on.
The factory used a VSS sensor on the speedometer from '84 on up so the speedo cable was no longer used.
There should be a little black box snapped into a bracket directly above the gas pedal, in fact the bracket is bolted to the firewall with the gas pedal.
If this is there then you had cruise, the RPO would be K34 on the SPID sticker as well.
As for re-installing, not too difficult since you already have the stalk there.
If you want to delete it I have one of these delete wands NOS to give it the correct look.

Attachments

• cruisedelete.jpg
    cruisedelete.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 316

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
got one that's w/o delay wipers? and how much

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor