aftermarket elky speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i wanna upgrade my sound system from two 2 1/2" speakers in the front to more than just those speakers. i have a cheap radio but i have to blast it to hear anything over my exhaust. and no i dont wanna make my exhaust quiter, i love how much my neighbors hate me when i start the car. i would like to get some rear speakers, is there a pannel i can buy to install behind the seats. i already have plans for a sub in the lil "cubbiehole". and im planning on replaceing the lower door panels with the ones that hold a 6" speaker. any sugestions?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, it all depends on what you are willing to do. If you plan on door speakers and a sub anyhow, go for the door speakers now and then get the sub later. You could also go for separates with mids in the doors and tweeters in the dash. My solution is to use the mounts GM used in the Regals with the "Concert Sound II" setup which put 5.25 in woofers in the doors and 1 in tweeters in the dash. You could also get some 6x9 boxes or truck speakers to put behind the seat, depending on how much room there is. If all you decide to do is the door speakers and sub, consider getting a 4 channel amp, and bridging 2 channels into one sub channel. This way, if you get a head unit with a subwoofer gain control, you can vary the output of the sub without affecting the equalization of the other speakers. This is similar to how I run the stereo in my small pickup. The difference being that my truck has only one 2 channel amp running the 2 10in subs, and the door speakers run off the deck, and all of the fader is set to full front. I have 2 6.5 in coaxials in the doors, and the 2 factory high mount tweeters as well. It actually sounds really good. My deck is a mid grade JVC with a equalizer and sub gain built in. I also run an iPod off of it using a cheap cable I got on Ebay for $20 or so. Ebay is a good place to look for new speakers too, as many vendors sell closeouts and leftovers that are new in box. Also, consider going to Wal Mart and buying a Pioneer IMPP 10 in sub then building your own box. The sub is only around $60, and they sound pretty good too. If you are into booty music, it probably won't be enough, but for anything else it would be just fine.

Here's an auction on some nice speakers that are an Ebay closeout. For $110, they come with crossovers, and separate 5.25in woofers with 19mm tweeters.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MB-QUART-RC...ryZ32818QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am not pushing those in particular, but it is an example of what is out there. I will be buying my speakers on Ebay when the time comes as I can't beat the prices! It's easily 1/2 to 1/3 the price of similar items at Best Buy or Circuit City, let alone local stereo shops. I buy decks locally though, as they tend to be more likely to need service, which is hard to get from an e-mail address.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i remember i saw a 6 x 9 speaker "box" that was mounted above the "cubbiehole" right where the top buttons are for the "cubbiehole cover" i thought that would be best because then i dont have to worry about speaker boxes rolling around behind the seats. the only problem is i dont remember where i saw it :( . but you did bring up a good point, with the boxes behing the seat. i'd just have to find a way to connect them over the hump so they dont slide around. thanx for the ideas.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The biggest problem with that though is that it will kill the treble and midrange. That needs to have either an unobstructed path to your ears, or a single reflected path like off the windshield. I tend to get into all of these things, so my car is quiet inside. You hear more road noise than engine noise...lol

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
well i went to the local pawn shop and found a pair of 6x9' with boxes for 63 bucks. there 3 way sony explod speakers. they sound good but i keep blowing fuses for some reason and now the radio wont work. so now i gotta figure out the gaggle f$%k of wires under the dash. or just say screw it and re wire the whole damn thing.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i was thinking about what i think i saw in truck mags was they mounted the speakers inside the center console, one in the driver side and one in the passenger side. ya think that would work? or for that matter worth butchering a center console for good sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor