Aftermarket license plate tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
You can about any older Pa plate but from what I understand you'll have to apply for a personal plate with the old plate's number. The state will send you a new issue plate plat you'll just put away. A buddy did that with his blue plate when they were being phased out. I have a yellow plate ready to go if I want to swap out my Pa Zoo plate.

That's nice to know. Never researched it, but just figured old plates were obsolete when the new design came out. I got a few blue ones, may look into down the road.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That's nice to know. Never researched it, but just figured old plates were obsolete when the new design came out. I got a few blue ones, may look into down the road.
With the classic & antique registration they will allow you to replace the current issue plate with a period correct old plate up to the bicentennial plate (last issued in '76.) Not sure if this is allowed with a collectors registration.

Reactions: 1 user

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
I think the vintage license plates in PA don't apply to Collectors Registration ... and to clarify, the registration process classifies the vintage plate as a "vanity plate" that just happens to match whatever you entered in the system (I've always thought that was clever)

SEMA has a legislative bill website covering all 50 states, I think about 6 months ago there was a bill in Pennsylvania that would direct PennDOT to design & manufacture license plates -- to be used for the Antique & Classic registrations -- that replicated the plates used in the '60s like seen at this great website ... I think there may have been a bill to extend vintage plate eligibility to the '80s but I think it died in committee

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Interesting on the PA. I was just talking about this to my brother, I have a 1932 Plate for my Ford, and he a 1955 Plate for the pro street.

My I be lazy and ask where you read this?

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Interesting on the PA. I was just talking about this to my brother, I have a 1932 Plate for my Ford, and he a 1955 Plate for the pro street.

My I be lazy and ask where you read this?

On the PennDOT website, search for "vintage plates" and the page / form / application will give you everything you need

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Just saw this topic for the first time. I don't know how it works in all states but in Ohio, you can register the car with a one-time purchase historical plate which you must keep in the car somewhere. Then you can get a year of manufacturer plate for the year of the car assigned. In my case 1968 for my Cougar. Back then every year the state would issue a new plate to each vehicle with the year stamped into it. In the late 70s and 80s when G-Bodys were new, Ohio was already just going with the same plate year after year and only issuing a sticker each year based on the car owner's birth month.

Getting back to my year of 68, I wasn't happy with what I was finding available via ebay or marketplace or even shopping swap meets and flea markets, but i did find this place:

They create aftermarket plates for any year, any state, in the correct colors, and fonts and mine is even painted with the correct reflective paint. The best part is you can get it created to say anything you want based on limited character spaces available. They're not cheap, but sometimes if you want that one little detail to set yourself apart, this could help in that department.

Attachments

• IMG_3156.JPG
    IMG_3156.JPG
    536.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3158.JPG
    IMG_3158.JPG
    533.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3162.JPG
    IMG_3162.JPG
    438.7 KB · Views: 59

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I am looking into this for my 41 in NY. I have a correct set stamped for 1941. At that time the year was stamped into them and they where not the standard size they are today. NYS requires cars using old plates to have Historical insurance. Not an issue for me since the car is insured by Hagerty and will not be a daily driver. This would have been an issue if I wanted the liberty plates on my 87. I drive that more than the Historical tag in NY would allow.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
In NY the plate has to be original, legible, and in use at the time of manufacture of the vehicle. So my 1983 Bonnewagon uses the orange/blue letter plates used in 1983. No re-pops, no painted overs, and they want a picture of both plates subitted to the Custom Plate Unit. Historical insurance and registration, as noted. I happened to have every old plate I ever owned, and then some, but Fleabay is loaded with plates for sale.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
In NY the plate has to be original, legible, and in use at the time of manufacture of the vehicle. So my 1983 Bonnewagon uses the orange/blue letter plates used in 1983. No re-pops, no painted overs, and they want a picture of both plates subitted to the Custom Plate Unit. Historical insurance and registration, as noted. I happened to have every old plate I ever owned, and then some, but Fleabay is loaded with plates for sale.
Mark,
An old friend in Brooklyn has had one of his cars off the road for 35 yrs and had his original yellow with blue letters/ numeral tags. He recently registered the car and asked if he was able to reuse his original tags. He went to the DMV and they wouldn't allow him to use his tags even though they were still in perfect condition. I guess they make no exceptions for vintage cars? I still have some of my old NY tags that are 50 yrs old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor