aftermarket shifter in floor console

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty454

Apprentice
Jul 8, 2010
blackwood,new jersey
Im trying to put a aftermarket b&m floor shifter in my console and wanted to see what some of you guys did to get some ideas i wanna try to use the stock console soo post some pics

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Which B&M shifter?

My brother has the B&M Quicksliver in his and it's a virtual bolt in. You have to make a few brackets and such to bolt it to the stock floor shift locations but the top plate that comes with the shifter fits the stock console perfectly.

Cutty454

Apprentice
Jul 8, 2010
blackwood,new jersey
I forget the name but its the one with the T handle that u pull up

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
Cutty454 said:
I forget the name but its the one with the T handle that u pull up

A megashifter.

I did mine in console. Your going to need to make a top plate for it, fabricate a couple pieces of plate and thats really it. I recommend you not make the same mistake I did of misjudging the height of the shifter.

Remove all he brackets that come with it off the shifter body until its down to the bear mechanism body. Take a piece of 1/4in thick 2" wide flatstock and drill holes in it to mount the piece across the stock shifter mounts on the floor.

Now lay the shifter on it and mock the console over it for forward to back. At this step your going to need to trim a serious amount of plastic from the console where the stock topplate was to clear the shifter.

When the shifter is where you want it either tack the shifter to your bracket or drill some more holes and bolt it.

The hardest part of this procedure will be fabricating some speed nut retainers since the front two bolts on the shifter plate are the forward mounts for the console.

Cutty454

Apprentice
Jul 8, 2010
blackwood,new jersey
thanks for the idea do u have any pics on how it turned out?

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
Here's a couple of pics of mine - not too bad of an install, plus kind of shows what stomis was talking about in terms of height. You can get the handle for the F-body, it's shorter.

As you can see I'm running the top plate that comes with the shifter, fits snug in the console.

Attachments

• interior_left.jpg
    interior_left.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3,855
  • interior_middle.jpg
    interior_middle.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 5,015
  • interior_frontright.jpg
    interior_frontright.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 4,445
Reactions: 1 user

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
great fab work people :wink: has any one used a standard monte carlo shifter in a cutlass 442 console or grand national console? i want to use this in one of my monte ss,but the shifter is to tall for the lower setting cutlass/regal console.will make it work,but wanted to see if anyone had some pointers? :mrgreen:

78Calais

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2008
MN
I put the B&M Pro-Ratchet in my 78 Calais. Had to pop off the gear indicator plastic on the left side and fab a slotted metal plate underneath the top just to close the gaps.
normal_78console.JPG

normal_78shifter.JPG

normal_78shiftercloseup.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
looks nice there 78calais :wink: what did you have to go through in order to make the b&m sit flust in the tunnel? have the same counsole,but made mine with gn flush mount storage compartment and cup holders :mrgreen: wanna put thhis in my 87 ss and use my stock 200-4r shifter with it but its just to tall? propably have to cut up the shifter and weld to tunnel,huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor