Aftermarket top?

Status
Not open for further replies.

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
I've always wondered if the top on my regal is aftermarket. I seen the same top on a regal in a junkyard. The reason i think its not factory is because its not the normal vynal, its more like cloth, it also has an emblem on the dash and the side that says presidential just like the one in the junkyard, I've never taken a vynal top off of another car but when my car got broken into in high school I had to take it apart to get at the back window there was a fiberglass shell, here's some pics...
normal_Picture_167.jpg

normal_Picture_166.jpg

normal_Picture_169.jpg

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Yes, it's an aftermarket top. Roofs like that were very popular in the 80's. Companies such as E&G Classics from Maryland sold shells and trim pieces, usually for installation by a local upholstery shop. The G-body coupes had a decent factory padded top, so we didn't do many aftermarket tops at the dealer where I worked, but once in a while a customer would prefer the "sim-con" (simulated convertible top) material. If you need any replacement moldings, parts can be very difficult to source.

Bill

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
Thanks! I guess i should have taken parts off the one in the junkyard

VeryRegalSedan

Apprentice
Jul 19, 2010
billyjack said:
Yes, it's an aftermarket top. Roofs like that were very popular in the 80's. Companies such as E&G Classics from Maryland sold shells and trim pieces, usually for installation by a local upholstery shop. The G-body coupes had a decent factory padded top, so we didn't do many aftermarket tops at the dealer where I worked, but once in a while a customer would prefer the "sim-con" (simulated convertible top) material. If you need any replacement moldings, parts can be very difficult to source.

Bill

do know where i can find one of those? it would make my sedan look real classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor