All NY G-bodies emissions exempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
well it IS illegal to remove or disable any emissions control devices, no matter what the year. so i can't tell you that they stop checking after 25yrs and you can get away with it. :mrgreen:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
they have enforcement officers here and they have more powers than the police. They can stop you at any time and tell you to open the hood. It's a $385.00 fine for modifying or removing any emission control devise and they can tow your vehicle. As far as a cat goes you can get spun cats that are almost open so there's no real purpose on a street car for not running them

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I don't have a CAT either. There is NO tailpipe test for anything up to 96', when OBD2 takes over. OBD2 rats you out to Albany so do not get tested with a check engine light on. As for a visual inspection, I don't know of any tester willing to get down on his knees to look under a car. However a safety inspection is still mandated, so a good shop should put it on the lift to check the brakes. A total ball buster MAY look for a CAT, but most won't care. Probably the best thing would be a high-flow CAT, as it does make a difference what enters the air we breath. I have one somewhere, next time I'm welding I plan on installing it.

AJ88

Apprentice
Oct 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll look into getting a magniflow spun metallic cat. I heard those are the best and least restrictive. They're kind of expensive. Any recommendations? Also, what size do I need if I've still got stock piping?

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Well if your cutlass is anything like my regal then the diameter of the exhaust pipe before the muffler should be 2 1/4 inches. The stock exhaust tips after the muffler were 2 1/2 inches.

AJ88

Apprentice
Oct 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hey pontiacgp, did you gain more sound with your spun high-flow cats? Thats what I'm really looking for here is sound. Which ones do you have? I don't want to spend the money without results meaning it must be louder or I would rather just try putting a test pipe in. However, I really would feel better about running a cat if the sound gains are comparable.

NY87SS

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2008
Palmyra, NY
I must have missed this post but the OP is wrong.
NY still maintains a 25 year law for emissions.
You could have put a big block in at any time, but the car had to have cats etc.
A station that lets vehicles out the door with a sticker on it with no cats faces a $2500 fine and loss of inspection license.
And there are people out there checking up on stations and repair shops.
I know a couple that lost there ability to inspect!!

trocutlass63

Greasemonkey
Aug 26, 2011
Metro Detroit
Wow! I Never realized how tough emissions laws are around the country. In Michigan you can do whatever you want to a car no matter the year and no one will say a word, the only things they'll get you for are dark tint, underglow and loud exhaust (only if the cop's in a bad mood).

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
We switched to OBDII or '96 & up a few years ago too. Prior to that I had to have cats on the '78 LeMans I had at the time and passed with flying colors.

I'm not an advocate of destroying the environment, nor a tree-hugger, but I really believe that the small amount of older non emissions-compliant cars aren't going to be a flea on the earth's *ss by any means.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
AJ88 said:
Hey pontiacgp, did you gain more sound with your spun high-flow cats? Thats what I'm really looking for here is sound. Which ones do you have? I don't want to spend the money without results meaning it must be louder or I would rather just try putting a test pipe in. However, I really would feel better about running a cat if the sound gains are comparable.

I don't know cause I put them on with a new duel system including headers. I had magnaflow straight through mufflers which I changed to chambered mufflers cause it was too loud for my liking. Loud noises don't mean more power

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor