All NY G-bodies emissions exempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I'm so glad we have nothing here. Buy a car, insure it, plate it, go drive it. Hopefully it stays that way.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
CHRIS.O said:
I'm so glad we have nothing here. Buy a car, insure it, plate it, go drive it. Hopefully it stays that way.
I miss that :!: I don't have to worry much about my inspection, its pretty much a visual inspection for anything older than 1998 here. But I am still supposed to have catalytic converters on my car (its good working in the automotive bussiness and knowing people) :mrgreen:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
NY87SS, I just had my car inspected. I asked about the emissions test and he said it was now called a "low enhanced emissions" test. He scanned a barcoded card with the DOT certified computer that's hooked in to Albany, never looked under my hood, nor under the car, no rollers, no tailpipe sniffer, no connections at all. EDIT-I stand corrected, here is what the DMV site says- "What does the low-enhanced emissions inspection include?

The low-enhanced emissions inspection includes a gas cap check and a visual inspection to find evidence of tampering and to prevent malfunctions in the air pollution control devices. The test is done annually at the same time as the safety inspection." So they are visually looking for emissions devices being removed or inoperable. So that means have a CAT in place, or find a shop like mine that doesn't care. But aside from a visual, there is no actual test of what is coming out your tailpipe.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Bonnewagon said:
I don't have a CAT either. There is NO tailpipe test for anything up to 96', when OBD2 takes over. OBD2 rats you out to Albany so do not get tested with a check engine light on. As for a visual inspection, I don't know of any tester willing to get down on his knees to look under a car. However a safety inspection is still mandated, so a good shop should put it on the lift to check the brakes. A total ball buster MAY look for a CAT, but most won't care. Probably the best thing would be a high-flow CAT, as it does make a difference what enters the air we breath. I have one somewhere, next time I'm welding I plan on installing it.

They don't have to get down on their knees to check for cats. In NJ, inspectors use a mirror on a long handle with little wheels to look for cats. It's real easy and quick for them to check under a car with that tool.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I actually talked to my guy today. He says he is supposed to look, but doesn't care to. He feels anyone with a car that old isn't going to put a penny into it anyway, so why bother? That seems to be the general feelings here in NYC. Not saying it's right, but I'm not complaining.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think it all revolves around the almighty dollar. These cars are an easy target to find something regarding the emissions to be missing or altered and up here they love to check it out to see how much that can nail us for. The rule is the components have to be there so with my vortec heads there is no EGR but so I JB welded one to my intake and it looks like it should. They don't care if it works as long as it looks like it does.

NY87SS

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2008
Palmyra, NY
Bonnewagon said:
I actually talked to my guy today. He says he is supposed to look, but doesn't care to. He feels anyone with a car that old isn't going to put a penny into it anyway, so why bother? That seems to be the general feelings here in NYC. Not saying it's right, but I'm not complaining.

Low emissions just as stated means you look for it.
Again I know a couple that didn't bother to look for the same reasons.
People left the shop, got pulled over for a quick look then that group went into the shop and had the inspection license pulled and handed them a $2500 fine.
Its once they have gotten wind this is going on is when they start looking closer.
Could be posting on the net, word of mouth and even heard sting operations where they send cars in with nothing to see what happens.
All I know is the risk is there, no inspection license and you can kiss alot of work goodbye.
I just run with a pipe shoved through my cat, my guy can see the cat and he's happy.
Next year 25 years is up and then I can put on true duals etc.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
cats? i dont like cats. imma dog person. here in cook county we have the 95 and older exempt law, but theres a catch. at the time i didnt know this but when i was in upstate NY in the army i got pulled over for speeding on post and i saw and unmarked MP car going the other way and i knew he got me for speeding so even before he turn on his lights and turned around i was pulled over on the side of the road waiting for my ticket. well it turns out that my DL was suspended because my satty didnt pass smog back in il. so i got arrested by the mp and had to goto the holding tank and i had to get bailed out by my sargent. so i call my mom back here in il and she had to show the dmv that i was stationed in ny so then i got a 6 month waiver. so any who 8 months go by an by that time im already out of the army and the whole smog thing slip my mind. so then a sheriffs police pulls me over for a peel and stick sticker in my back window(total bullshit) and then asks for my dl and insurance. he comes back and tells me my dl is suspended, and im like no its not i just gave it to you wtf! so then i get arrested again and i get realased on ibond and then i have to get my car out of the impound AND THEN i have to get it smogged. well it didnt pass so i had to take it to an garage to get an new cat/downtube and some other stuff costing over 6 bills. so then i got to the smog place and there like, ok you pass and now yer exempt. i almost had a fit, i wanted to punch everyone in the junk in that place after all that bull sh*t. it turns out also out here if you pay over a certain amount to try and get yer car to pass and it still fails your exempt. one of my buddys got around the smog pumps that way by printing out fake work slips...wish i thought of that...

now with my elky i bought it with no cats and im keeping it that way. thats my excuse.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
beermonkey9417 said:
cats? i dont like cats. imma dog person. here in cook county we have the 95 and older exempt law, but theres a catch. at the time i didnt know this but when i was in upstate NY in the army i got pulled over for speeding on post and i saw and unmarked MP car going the other way and i knew he got me for speeding so even before he turn on his lights and turned around i was pulled over on the side of the road waiting for my ticket. well it turns out that my DL was suspended because my satty didnt pass smog back in il. so i got arrested by the mp and had to goto the holding tank and i had to get bailed out by my sargent. so i call my mom back here in il and she had to show the dmv that i was stationed in ny so then i got a 6 month waiver. so any who 8 months go by an by that time im already out of the army and the whole smog thing slip my mind. so then a sheriffs police pulls me over for a peel and stick sticker in my back window(total bullshit) and then asks for my dl and insurance. he comes back and tells me my dl is suspended, and im like no its not i just gave it to you wtf! so then i get arrested again and i get realased on ibond and then i have to get my car out of the impound AND THEN i have to get it smogged. well it didnt pass so i had to take it to an garage to get an new cat/downtube and some other stuff costing over 6 bills. so then i got to the smog place and there like, ok you pass and now yer exempt. i almost had a fit, i wanted to punch everyone in the junk in that place after all that bull sh*t. it turns out also out here if you pay over a certain amount to try and get yer car to pass and it still fails your exempt. one of my buddys got around the smog pumps that way by printing out fake work slips...wish i thought of that...

now with my elky i bought it with no cats and im keeping it that way. thats my excuse.

:blam: That sucks.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Beermonkey was you in Ft. Drum? When it was Camp Drum there used to be a sign outside the town that said, "Dogs and GI's not allowed".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor