Almost dropped a valve. Need input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tad Farmer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2017
Pontiacgp, did you put the piston BDC then fill the cylinder with cord and rotate the motor by hand to compress the cord a little bit?

Tad Farmer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2017
a magnet is great to help you to remove and install keepers....

I have one ready and standing by. As far as adjusting lash once I have the valve train assembled again. I am going to set all the rockers at 0 lash, start the motor and then adjust each rocker while the motor is running. Back the nut off till it starts tapping, tighten down till it stops then I was thinking of going 1/2 turn and seeing how it does. That is what I have been reading and watching videos in last couple of days. Correct me if i am wrong or if there is a better way.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Tad & all; You got some good advice here. Since I usually spent all my hot rod money on going faster I didn't get a compressor until just a few years ago so I used the rope method & still prefer it to a compressor. As I don't like listening to the noise of the compressor. Also if I get distracted the rope will hold the valves up until it rots. Just a recap, remove spark plug, stuff the cylinder full of rope (I like cotton close line), turn engine by HAND until it locks. Do valve work, back crank off just a bit to remove rope. And for adjusting valves you're on a good path, but be warned that if you don't set the push rod into the lifter plunger at least a 1/4 turn you risk the retaining clip-spring popping out of the lifter, I've seen it happen. As we use to set Hyd lifters to 0 or just a 1/4 turn to reduce pump up valve float. Way back when a hyd lifter would pump up & float the valves at anything above 5500-6000 RPM. Things have changed now days as many hyd lifters will go 7000! For many years I used Rhoads zero lash hyds in place of a solid cam. A pain in the butt to adjust but they worked very well. Now days (2004 build) I run solid rollers designed for street use. But cam & lifter technology has surpassed that thought now. Good luck, Ole' Bob.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor