altenator problems again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Albright

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2011
It's been doing fine up until this morning but now none of the lights on the dash light up. could this be caused by the ecu it does have a sbc in it ?

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
The ECM does not control the lights or other body systems.

First, check the fuse (5A labeled "INST LPS").

If you've been having problems with the charging system, you might want to verify that recent changes/repairs are still connected and functioning correctly. No sense trying to diagnose a "new" issue that is actually just another flare-up of a known problem.

If all of that checks out OK, then move on...

A flaky ground connection can cause the lights to be dim or go out completely; use a test light to verify that you have good ground connections for the IP lamps. Do you have good, clean connections on the braided ground strap between the firewall and the engine? Often, those are not re-installed after engine work or engine swap; bad connections or a missing ground strap will wreak havoc on the electrical system.

The instrument panel lighting is controlled by the light switch and the interior dimmer function within the switch. You might want to test a known good headlight switch before you tear into the cluster.

Also, this could be a result of corroded or broken traces on the flexible circuit board at the back of the instrument cluster, but the general lighting and the individual gauge lights are not on the same circuit so it is unlikely that ALL would fail at the same tie because of a single broken trace.

Peter Albright

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2011
I don't know were to begin, fuses, none are truly labeled I just replaced all of them everything else I'm sorta confused on

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor