alternator or electrical problem????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Since you know the alternator is good then I'd be looking at the diagram and going through the wires till I found the problem.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
There is a bad connection in the brown wire, first thing i would do is check the plug. Thats usually the problem. The wire is so small and sometimes ppl pull on the wire during a alt, change pulling the wire out of the connecter without breaking the insulation. Check your voltage before the plug, follow it until u get system voltage. Another thing I have seen was it being bad in the bulkhead under the wiper motor. Yer thinking its harder than it actually is, its a simple fix dude. Lemmie know what ya come up with and I will help ya out.

prico1976

Greasemonkey
Aug 15, 2010
No luck I installed a new alternator connector (plug) and still having the same problem. No charge :(

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I agee with Pontiac 455. I would put a resister in the brown wire and hook that up to a known good source of switched power. I don't think the alternator is getting excited

wrenchbend1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2013
The main fat battery lead should have power ALL the time! you said you tested the two little wires Did you test the main fat battery lead at the alternator ? the alternator fat battery lead comes from a fusible link at the starter . All three wires should be hot when running . please let us know ! :wtf: 2 Cutlasses ? You da man !!!!
prico1976 said:
thank you for all your help guys. i know for sure is not the alternator. i pulled out the alternator and put it in my other cutlass to test it and is charging fine. i must have a wiring problem. with the engine running from the two wire connectors i get 12v on the red wire and on the brown wire i get 2.7 volts. when i do the same test on my other car with the engine running i get 12v on both wires. so what can be my problem this is so frustrating.

prico1976

Greasemonkey
Aug 15, 2010
All those three wires have 12v plus. I even replaced the two fusible link going to the starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor