Alternator Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
SuperRegal said:
So im guessing get a CS144 alternator, big 3, upgrade my main battery and get a second one in the trunk? Does anyone know any good audio shops in dallas Tx? I ha d a friend hook everything up but he says my amp isn't pushing all 1200 watts, so i guess it has something to do with my electrical. Ive heard that Bonnie and Clyde Audio do good work but is pricey.

Does your friend, have enough expertise to give advise?

Being why I asked. From my research and knowledge. The Wattage advertise for Amps is the Peak wattage. The wattage you be pay attention isnt peak. It is the RMS wattage.

So, I wanted to find out what RMS should for and with a quick google search I found this.

RMS means:
Root means square, in other words it means the amount of watts the speaker/sub should be getting. Max means nothing really. Always go by total RMS.

If you have 2 subwoofer at 500rms each and you wanted an amp for them, add all the speakers rms up in which this case it 1000rms and then find an amp. Its all about the rms and never the max.

So you need to figure out what your 1200 watt amp's RMS is. And then figure out what your speakers RMS is. And see if they add up. Or is your amp too much or too weak.

Hope I helped

SuperRegal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2013
Dallas, TX
Oldstech said:
SuperRegal said:
So im guessing get a CS144 alternator, big 3, upgrade my main battery and get a second one in the trunk? Does anyone know any good audio shops in dallas Tx? I ha d a friend hook everything up but he says my amp isn't pushing all 1200 watts, so i guess it has something to do with my electrical. Ive heard that Bonnie and Clyde Audio do good work but is pricey.

Does your friend, have enough expertise to give advise?

Being why I asked. From my research and knowledge. The Wattage advertise for Amps is the Peak wattage. The wattage you be pay attention isnt peak. It is the RMS wattage.

So, I wanted to find out what RMS should for and with a quick google search I found this.

RMS means:
Root means square, in other words it means the amount of watts the speaker/sub should be getting. Max means nothing really. Always go by total RMS.

If you have 2 subwoofer at 500rms each and you wanted an amp for them, add all the speakers rms up in which this case it 1000rms and then find an amp. Its all about the rms and never the max.

So you need to figure out what your 1200 watt amp's RMS is. And then figure out what your speakers RMS is. And see if they add up. Or is your amp too much or too weak.

Hope I helped

The sub i have is 1200 watts rms. The amp does 1200 watts rms, but is capable of pushing 1400 watts rms. I do understand what you are saying though. Its a high quality amp and has very good reputation, not a cheap amp that claims to put out 1200 watts rms but only does half or less. He told me the voltage that my car was putting out wouldn't be enough to power the amp, as is. So i would have to upgrade my electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor