Aluminum hood question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 7, 2013
Hi

I am wondering what cars came with the aluminum hoods?

Thanks
Lloyd

From the accounts I read, they were pretty random. I say that because I see where people claim they only came in certain optioned cars only to have someone refute that by claiming to have one on a totally different optioned car. The 78-80 style hood is much more common than the 81-88 style ones.

CWPottenger said:
Aluminum hoods, doors, and trunks were random on the assembly line.

Aluminum doors and trunks? On G-Body Cutlasses?

ljm said:
Thanks

Is there a demand for 81-88 Aluminum hoods?

I don't think there's a HUGE demand but they are desireable. Sometimes a large item like that is hard to unload because the guys who want em don't want to pay out of their a$$es for shipping something that big! The matching hinges are needed to run an aluminum hood so that's a good selling point too.

DoubleV said:
CWPottenger said:
Aluminum hoods, doors, and trunks were random on the assembly line.

Aluminum doors and trunks? On G-Body Cutlasses?

Cutlass's only got aluminum hoods.
Early Monte's and Regal's had aluminum trunk lids and I've heard of early GP's with aluminum hoods too.

No G-body ever had aluminum doors.

Like DoubleV said, they're desirable if you can find somebody that wants it.
It took me over 2 years to finally get my hands on an '81-'88 hood, and I had to drive to Milwaukee to get it...

In good condition they go for around $200, add a few bucks if you get the hinges.

Blake442 said:
Like DoubleV said, they're desirable if you can find somebody that wants it.
It took me over 2 years to finally get my hands on an '81-'88 hood, and I had to drive to Milwaukee to get it...

In good condition they go for around $200, add a few bucks if you get the hinges.

I've got a small fortune into mine. They are desirable and VERY light. When prepping for paint, be very careful when using a DA. I know a few guys that have warped them from applying too much heat. GM discontinued them due to cost and warranty claims. I work with a guy that used to be a quality engineer at GM and has first hand accounts of the issues and fall out GM had with these things. They dent very easy and need special care to prevent damage.

What is different abot the hinges?

I would assume they had lighter springs.

Anyone have hinges for an Al hood?

Thanks
Lloyd

You nailed it, lighter springs!

ljm said:
What is different abot the hinges?

I would assume they had lighter springs.

Anyone have hinges for an Al hood?

Thanks
Lloyd

The hinge stampings look the same to me. The difference is likely the spring coil.....have you looked at taking spring material out of a steel hood spring to reduce the spring tension? Finding a nice used set of correct springs for an aluminum hood may be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor