Am i asking for trouble putting a 265/50/15 on an 8 inch wheel? (REAR ONLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
A speedo gear takes a simple calculation, a $20 purchase, and 10 minutes to change.
Yes I have changed them out before........my point is how the car will feel, drive and act when you change the EFFECTIVE rear gear ratio.........
Im looking at the total picture..............not just the speedometer...................

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Yes I have changed them out before........my point is how the car will feel, drive and act when you change the EFFECTIVE rear gear ratio.........
Im looking at the total picture..............not just the speedometer...................

Sounds like you made up your mind. 265 fits an 8” rim easily and safely.

Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Sounds like you made up your mind. 265 fits an 8” rim easily and safely.
lets just say I weighed my options and have a plan in mind. My plan all hinges on getting the wheels otherwise, this thread is mute.......
but it's nice to come here and at least throw something on the wall and see what sticks as they say.............

I need to thank my friend who is not only a motor head but an engineer as well who taught me a lot about making changes to
drive line components and how they affect a car. I threw a lot of money at cars trying to get to a place. He showed me how
the numbers don't lie when it comes to making any numeric changes albeit transmission gears to rear gear ratios to tire
size and how they affect how the car feels and drives. My 79 Olds is no horsepower or torque monster and so I am trying to
keep the changes subtle so as not to have an anemic ride. My friend taught me a lot...on how to use the money I have at age
70 to make the car something I want and STAY WITHIN A BUDGET. The best tool in my toolbox is NOT MY
CHECKBOOK..................it's listening and learning and using common sense and avoiding hype and hyperbole when it comes
to real world experience.

Facts and opinions are different things. I followed a lot of people's opinions and some worked, most did not. Facts, when it comes
down to it, have proven more reliable. We all are individuals with our own likes and dislikes and what works for me will not work
for everyone. But at least we have a place to share ideas AND facts and still support our hobby no matter what we like and do with
our cars.

Last edited:

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
This is my Regal with Cooper Cobra 275/60 rear and 235/60 fronts IMO an under 26" tire would not look right in the rear.
Trans speedo gears can be changed and ratio boxes are out there to do the same thing that you just screw in between the trans and the speedo cable.

View attachment 123922
Maybe some won't like the look I am going for but I think it looks fine with the wide rear, smaller front.
hurstoldsbiglittle.jpg

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
if your worried about height difference why havent you looked at 275/50/15's which is a hair wider and 25ish inches like the 265s? since the 275/60/15 doesnt work for you due to them being a 28inch vs the 25inch your looking for.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What size tires are those? Those 265 will fit fine in those small wheel wells. My 245/60R14 and even the current 225/70R14 tires fit Ok. I also used them to lower highway rpm and work with existing speedometer gears I already had. Then go with a 215/60R15 up front and it should look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor