AN Cooling LInes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Way back when I was working on the 81 I posted a question about the transmission cooling lines. Back then I wanted to use hard lines. I bought a set of SS lines from Inline for a TH350 and tweaked them to fit the TH400. They seemed to work. Now that the cars running I found a slight leak from the upper line. Not from the threads. Its from the center of the fitting around the tube. I put these on before the headers when there was a lot of room. Now, not so much. Cant get a wrench on to play with it. Not even a stubby. Im sure its the flare that isnt seated.
So now Im considering using a set of braided SS. What size AN would be used for that and how have you guys run them ? 90 degree at the radiator ? Attached to what ? The inner ? And what clamps to mount them ? Pictures would be a big help.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I run 8 AN for my trans lines but they go to external coolers and I use Earls aluminum separator hose clamps mounted to the wheel well to hold them and 30 degree hose ends going to my TH400 with the 8 AN trans line adapters.

IMG_1478.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I run -6 also. If you change the fittings in the transmission remember they are not a pipe thread! They are a straight thread that seals with a washer or gasket. Plenty of people have cracked a transmission case by putting a not fitting in it

• Informative
  • Agree

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I run -6 also. If you change the fittings in the transmission remember they are not a pipe thread! They are a straight thread that seals with a washer or gasket. Plenty of people have cracked a transmission case by putting a not fitting in it
I actually have those adaptor fittlings already. Dont remember why I bought them though. Maybe I saw this problem coming ! LOL

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
That woud be great ! I'd like to see how/where you ran them. Do you have an additional cooler or just using the radiator ?
Whoops, I crashed last night before making it to the garage. Mine run up along the frame to the external cooler in front of the radiator. If you have an internal cooler in the rad just get NPT to AN adapters.
I'm running a 4L80 so I have special fittings in the trans. Only pic I have on hand. You can see them running along the top of the frame...
20210801_203655.jpg

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
If you really want a sweet fastener check out the mag daddy's. Available at Amazon, summit, speedway etc. It's a powerful magnet that you can pass a zip tie through. I love them! They work great and prevent you from having to drill a hole in a painted part

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor