An Interesting Story From My Childhood...COPO 87 Cutlass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Blake442 said:
joe_padavano said:
Let's be very, very clear on this. There was NEVER a TBI or TPI V8, neither Olds nor Chevy, offered in an Oldsmobile automobile before the LT1s in the 1991 Custom Cruiser.

Olds Custom Cruisers were built in '91 and '92 only, and had a TBI 350.
The LT1 wasn't put in the B-body line up until '94, and Olds didn't get one...

Ya seen one SBC, ya seen 'em all... :)

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The guy I bought my Cutlass said he saw one Canadian version with a factory 307. It was a regular 83 Cutlass and supposedly a Canadian bought car. He had a few G bodies one with a added in Cadillac leather interior.

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
joe_padavano said:
gs dewd said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Are you sure it wasn't a diesel?

positive was listed under the gas motor setion and also was listed as Throttle body fuel injection. Now wheter or not any came with the motor I can't tell you but atleast I gather that they may have atleast been thinking of it. And it was a olds motor. The specs listed a 4.05 bore which chev motors are 4.00 bore. I'll try to scan it in tommorrow.

The ONLY fuel injected Oldsmobile motor that was ever available in a production automobile was the PORT injected 350 used in the 1976-1976 Cadillac Seville. That motor was never offered in an Oldsmobile, only in the Caddy. It used a prehistoric analog computer and no O2 sensor (open loop only).

Let's be very, very clear on this. There was NEVER a TBI or TPI V8, neither Olds nor Chevy, offered in an Oldsmobile automobile before the LT1s in the 1991 Custom Cruiser. I've got $100 right now for anyone who can prove otherwise with GM factory documentation. I will not accept Chiltons, Haynes, or someone's school bus driver as "proof".

Olds DID cast some experimental TBI intakes for the 307. They looked like this:

307fi1.jpg

Again, this intake was NEVER used on a production car.

Well As I said it was listed in a gm service manual I have at work. it could have been a misprint but I doubt it because it was listed more then once but it doesn't mean the motor was ever put in a car. I have never seen or heard of one. I think it was more of a lets list all olds motors together thing. But it did say tbi fuel injection not carb like the rest. I don't know I'll just scan it in and let you all see it. It doesn't mean that there are cutlasses out there with tbi 350 olds motor's from the factory. I didn't take it as that anyway when I read it. Everything else I see never lists a 350 for a gboby cutlass. I am thinking more of they just listed all motors together or something.

gator2206

Apprentice
Feb 22, 2009
Zanesville,Ohio
CutlassJ said:
The would be interesting to find out anyway if it was possible. Back in 1996 when I was in my junior year of high school, one of my friends told me that he had a V8 in his chevy beretta at that time I didn't know as much as i do now I knew it was bull. Come on front wheel drive at that time.
O ya and i used to work with a guy that really thought his 1996ish cavalier Z24 had a V6, nevermind the fact that when you open the hood that there were 4 spark plugs looking at you maybe the other 2 cylinders were in the trunk with his subs and amp.
uhhhhhh.......GM did put V6's in the early and mid 90 cavalier Z24's.....We had one of the square body style(i forget the year) Z24's and it most certainly had a V6 in it

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
gator2206 said:
.GM did put V6's in the early and mid 90 cavalier Z24's.....We had one of the square body style(i forget the year) Z24's and it most certainly had a V6 in it

ALL the Z24s had V6s. That was the 2.8 liter, 60 degree motor.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
By 96 they were 4 cylinders, including the z24.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Correct. They actually went to a 3.1 V6 in 1990, and with a five speed they're actually pretty fun little cars. But when they went to the hideous little bubbly body style, it was all 4 bangers.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yup, the bubble Cavaliers were "powered" by a variant of the Olds Quad 4. It was a 2.4 liter instead of the earlier ones which were 2.3's and featured numerous changes supposed to make them less failure prone. IIRC, it had 150hp, which was down from the previous HO Quad 4 2.3 that had 190hp. It was unfortunate that GM couldn't make the HO version work well as it had a good specific output and compared favorably (power wise) to engines like the Honda H22 VTEC from the Prelude. I had a standard Quad 4 in a Calais, and it had a lot of power. Too bad it never would run right for more than a few seconds and I never was able to sort the electronics. It was the car that made me buy my first Nissan.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
There were injected Olds 350s availible in the G-body for 81-85

they were NOT gas. You are looking at the Olds Diesel. The only gas V-8 option for 81 was the 260. I will match Joe's hundred and raise two hundred. I can post the exploded view of the engine tonight, if you so wish.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Yup, the bubble Cavaliers were "powered" by a variant of the Olds Quad 4. It was a 2.4 liter instead of the earlier ones which were 2.3's and featured numerous changes supposed to make them less failure prone. IIRC, it had 150hp, which was down from the previous HO Quad 4 2.3 that had 190hp. It was unfortunate that GM couldn't make the HO version work well as it had a good specific output and compared favorably (power wise) to engines like the Honda H22 VTEC from the Prelude. I had a standard Quad 4 in a Calais, and it had a lot of power. Too bad it never would run right for more than a few seconds and I never was able to sort the electronics. It was the car that made me buy my first Nissan.

agreed, my mom had a 96, she thought it had a V-6 too. The older boxier Z24 Crapaliers had 2.8L V-6s .... she had one of those too. Honestly the 4 banger would run circles around the six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor