Another G-body destroyed for TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

79cutlass_on_crutches

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2008
Moberly, MO
It does make the survivors more valuable, but it also makes the parts tougher to come by.

Not being a circle track fan, I didn't know of their G-body craze until I bought my latest Cutlass. My supervisor (who takes summer Saturdays off religously for raceday) informed me of the circle track guys....so, I posted to a couple of local raceway forums ISO "any G-body parts." I figured they'd flood my inbox with offers, but no. I got ZERO response...this, for a guy willing to pay good money for parts they were probably going to toss.

I don't really mind a car getting its 5 seconds of fame on TV. It's a shame to ruin it, really, but at least it's famous for a few seconds. The circle track guys, I feel, couldn't care less...and from my experience, don't care about the real G-body enthusiasts.

hujass

Apprentice
Jun 24, 2008
N Dakota
Its a double edged sword that the G body make a good racing platform. Guess that makes them more valuable overall, but they are getting more rarer every year as people wreck them on the track. Soon all the shitty ones will be destroyed leaving only a handful of nice ones and the prices will skyrocket....maybe.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
Maybe someone should start going to the racetracks, and tell these guys that we still want are parts damit.
I know that most racers end up throwing away all the parts that they dont need, which could mean cheap parts for us :twisted:

ligoatpar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2005
Southampton, Pa.
'G' bodys destroyed

Unfortunately thats one of the problems with these cars. No one feels they should have to pay any decent money for parts. Thats probably the biggest reason they are used for dirt cars Cheap Cheap! The only models that bring ANY money are the specialty models. Even some of those struggle to get any. Just think how many were crushed in the recent scrap high price spike! There were 2 yards that I knew of that had a great supply. GONE! So until most are gone the prices will still be low. It's a double edged sword. These cars still don't get much respect.

hujass

Apprentice
Jun 24, 2008
N Dakota
Last summer I had a parking lot mishap with some guy talking on his cell phone, he bent my front bumper. Had a hell of time finding a suitable replacement. Finally found a used one in a yard about 800 miles away...took 2 weeks to get it shipped. Then I waited another 2 weeks to get re-chromed. GM stopped making chrome Regal bumpers years ago and you can't find an NOS or reproduction bumper anymore. I blame the circle track racers for killing our parts supply! :lol:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
You think the G-body carnage is bad on the circle tracks... Think about the car of choice used before them. That's right, try and guess how many decent '64-'77 A-body cars bit the dust the same way. Chevelles, 442's, GTO's and their lower trim level bretherin all were considered expendible cars back in the day... Just like G-bodies are still today.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
The local oval track here uses g bodies and some b bodies.The track is old and there is old pictures of cars from the 50s racing.Most of them would cry if they knew what a 66-67 chevy is worth today.

Nov 4, 2009
Hey you guys want to talk about dirt track racers well i am a dirt track racer and i have you guys some parts i will sell every part off my 87 3.8 regal other then the body and rear end. The rest is for sale,interior the front and rear bumpers, glass, motor, transmission, rear end gear, rims, air conditioning, what ever else you want other then the doors, fenders, 1/4s, hood, trunklid, so all of you are talking about us messing up ure cheap parts here ya go i shouldnt have any parts left the car is marron with marron interior bench seat with fold down arm rest. any questions email me at [email protected] have at it im building it this winter i will have all the parts i dont need put up wiring harness and all. Might even have a few 86 ss monte carlo parts.

blown78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2009
My grandfather used to race 66-69 dodge chargers and befor that he had 55-7 chevys. My grammy has a few photo emblems from the60s and 70's. He went threw about 100-150 chargers just cutting them up and building them. My dad and his brother used to use chevelles, gtos, camaros. My dads first race car was a split bumper camaro. But like he said back then them cars wernt worth anything. Now i love gbodys but i can say im one of them people that has cut them up for circle track. But i sell all the parts that can be sold or just give them away. Iv cut up a couple nice cars but most of what you find here in maine is rotted to death so there is no other use for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor