Any info on a 4l80 in our Gbody's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
I'm doing a 8.1 swap. I planned on leaving my race built th350 but I wouldn't mind overdrive if it's no hard to install 4l80

slingshot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2014
I installed a 4L80M in my 79 wagon, but yet to run it, the car is being upgraded. I was looking for an overdrive and got a good deal on the 4L80M, as the original owner went to a glide for drag racing. The trans was made with a full manual valve body and built to endure way more power than I will be putting to it with a 4500 stall converter. It fit under the floor OK, but I needed to make a custom cross member, that also required fabricating two mounting perches on the frame rails for the cross member. I weld, so the fabrication was not an issue. The trans was engineered longer for OD gear room.

My cross member used a length of angle iron for the trans mount and two lengths of tubing to the frame perches. The member just cleared the three inch exhaust tubing. It is the heaviest trans I have ever installed and will undoubtedly parasitize more engine power than a lighter trans. Unless your engine is making tons of torque, I'd say the 2004R would be a good direction to go. CK performance sells all the good parts to make one strong. Remember, the Buick GN used the 2004R very successfully. BTW, after installing the 4L80 in my wagon, I'm considering reinstalling the TH400 that it was originally raced with. It will be primarily used as a bracket racer, so that is the better choice. I would not get involved with a 4L60E, as too many I know had problems with then in racing use. That is my 2 cents worth.

kyleBblazercrazy

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
They are really heavy. They will fit the driveshaft has to be shortened. If you get a 4l80e you have to get a controller unless you put an engine trans combo with wiring already involved.and the stock crossmember will not work. They should hold up well. They are heavy duty trannys.and overdrive is the sh*t for real.

ken87cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2014
Evansville, IN
I've got my trans installed but I'm looking at the factory console shifter and cable. I used brackets from shiftworks and it seems to work out side the car but I'm worried about the "S" bend being to much as the trans is a little longer. Anyone use anything different?

Also, what dipstick did you use?

ken87cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2014
Evansville, IN
Ok, I have yet to see other pictures of the install so here is mine. They aren't the best as they are from my cell phone but they show what is needed to see.

This one is from about where the rear seat footwells are

The left side clearance

Right Side

The only clearance issue I can see is where the fluid lines come out. I'm going to use AN hose and the fitting may require a little bulge to clear the furthest one back. I'll take some pics when I get that far.

Still need to find out about the factory console shifter and cable if anyone can share what they did. And what dipstick you used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor