Any "must do" upgrades for 403?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Well the last couple days I have been working on scraping all the crap off my 403 to get it ready to go in the Cutlass. While I have this thing out and it is easy to get to everything is there anything I should look at doing? Not looking to go extreme with this engine, it will basically just be a fun street car until I come up with the funds for building some sort of forced induction engine (maybe a stroker DX block build since I have one in the shop). So yeah for now just something reliable and fun is all I am out for right now. It will have TH350 behind it and the rear is a 7.5 with 3.23 gears and posi.

STL84Calais

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2009

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Replace the rear main while it's out. A timing chain and high volume oil pump wouldn't be a bad idea either. A girdle is a good idea for an all out build but for a stocker I would skip it - just don't over rev it. I don't have one on my 12 sec 403 and it has held together for 25+ years. A good line bore and balanced reciprocating assy has helped...

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
For a fun street car it'll hold up fine, to make it more fun a good ignition curve, with plenty of advance, a good intake and properly working Q-jet and a set of headers with 2.25-2.5" duals.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Assuming you're just taking apart a stock 403, cleaning it up, and reassembling it and are just looking to add a bit more oomph for cheap and little hassle, then I would put a bigger cam in it. The stock ones are so small. Even with the stock crap compression, a bigger cam would make a difference.

When it's all together, a nice exhaust system combined with your new cam should really wake it up.

P.S. If you have a set of older 68-72 350 heads in good running shape, you could slap those on too ( do a search for specifics about bolt hole size ) which would make a big difference too. With the 350 heads, you'll get more CR so you can use an even better cam.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Yeah though about both the cam and heads. Sadly I only have 350 smog heads available to me at the moment.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
DoubleV said:
Assuming you're just taking apart a stock 403, cleaning it up, and reassembling it and are just looking to add a bit more oomph for cheap and little hassle, then I would put a bigger cam in it. The stock ones are so small. Even with the stock crap compression, a bigger cam would make a difference.

When it's all together, a nice exhaust system combined with your new cam should really wake it up.

P.S. If you have a set of older 68-72 350 heads in good running shape, you could slap those on too ( do a search for specifics about bolt hole size ) which would make a big difference too. With the 350 heads, you'll get more CR so you can use an even better cam.

Good advice ^^^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor