Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Re: Anybody every tried BMW or Range Rover wheels on their G

1985cutlasssupreme said:
wen u put on your bmw rims did they fit snugg or were they kinda loose?

The wheel will fit on the lugs but if you look the stud is not sitting in the center, it is closer the inside edge of the hole. When you tighten the lug the chamfer on the lug touches on one side of the chamfer on the rim and as you tighten it more the lug puts force on the stud to move it outwards so the lug can sit properly in the chamfer, which it never does. It's unsafe to use wheels that do not fit.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

pontiacgp said:
1985cutlasssupreme said:
wen u put on your bmw rims did they fit snugg or were they kinda loose?

The wheel will fit on the lugs but if you look the stud is not sitting in the center, it is closer the inside edge of the hole. When you tighten the lug the chamfer on the lug touches on one side of the chamfer on the rim and as you tighten it more the lug puts force on the stud to move it outwards so the lug can sit properly in the chamfer, which it never does. If the BMW wheel used a lug nut with a washer there wouldn't be a problem.

I totally agree with pontiacgp. Just because you can bolt them on doesn't mean they fit if they are a different bolt pattern even a few thousands you could end up with broken wheel studs from being stressed . Major safety issue why risk it?

joe79carlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 6, 2010

i had 19 inch bmw wheels on my 79 monte for about 4 years and never had problems fronts where 8.5 rears where 10s

Attachments

• my monte2.jpg
    my monte2.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 2,621

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010

These are BMW wheels on my old firebird. The bolt holes look to be "bushed" so they fit a 4 3/4 bolt patten snugly.

And these are IROC rims on my bro's GP. QED.

8500c47_20.jpg

DSC05331.jpg

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009

Just because something "worked" in one case does not make it safe as pontiacgp has stated above. He is not saying this to argue with or prove you who say that they have had them work wrong. Literally it is not safe to do so is all he is trying to say.

Oh, and hilarious use of QED haha.

king-david

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2009

joe79carlo said:
i had 19 inch bmw wheels on my 79 monte for about 4 years and never had problems fronts where 8.5 rears where 10s

Thank you sir... I was looking at some 2006 BMW 550i sport wheels... I have the same car and I love the wheels.. I saw another set and figured why not.

Guys... I see people Run 5x115 when their car calls for 5x114.3 all the time... this is almost exactly the same thing. Is it perfect, we'll all agree it isnt... but will it work? Sounds like it...

More pics!!!!!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

online170: I like the irocs on the GP but what is up with the aero side mirrors in the wrong position on the door they look just about useless there.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

king-david said:
joe79carlo said:

Thank you sir... I was looking at some 2006 BMW 550i sport wheels... I have the same car and I love the wheels.. I saw another set and figured why not.

Guys... I see people Run 5x115 when their car calls for 5x114.3 all the time... this is almost exactly the same thing. Is it perfect, we'll all agree it isnt... but will it work? Sounds like it...

More pics!!!!!

so wheels that don't fit are ok to use..I guess you don't do alot of reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor