Anybody every tried BMW or Range Rover wheels on their GBody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Re: Anybody every tried BMW or Range Rover wheels on their G

I don't do nor do I condone the use of spacers/adapters. However I will do a frame notch if necessary.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

Qdub24 said:
I don't do nor do I condone the use of spacers/adapters. However I will do a frame notch if necessary.
Thats why I said "since safety isnt important". I did a little google search to see what they look like on gbodies and everywhere I go they say to use adaptors but I have heard horror stories mainly with bigger rims though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

and here is the reason spacers are dangerous..

there used to be an aftermarket wheel on this car and if you look at the rust around the center it is obvious the spigot ring was not there. I don't imagine those who want to put those BMW wheels if they know what a spigot ring is but its there for the wheel to sit on the hub if the wheel doesn't sit snugly on the hub. The studs are only meant to hold the wheel on with tension. That brings up another point using the incorrect wheel pattern. Wheel studs are only half as strong when it comes the shear forces as it is to tension forces. Wheel studs are not made to support the vehicle and were never designed to bend to accommodate the wrong bolt pattern..with a spacer there is no spigot ring and that is why they are dangerous

4686.jpg

conenut.gif

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio

Factory cutlass wheels were not hub centric, they require the studs to center the wheel.

I'm surprised to see people not trust spacer and adapters (with the correct bolt pattern), but are perfectly fine using a wheel with the wrong bolt circle :wtf:

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011

this would be more of what I would consider if I had to use a spacer of any kind, I actually have these in the garage somewhere, these arent the ones you need but an example

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- ... Id=1679267

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

according to this from all the research they have done.. "As far as I know, all OEM wheels are hubcentric, and from an engineering standpoint this is the better method."

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofwhl.htm

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio

442.com doesn't do much research :roll:

Stock g-body cutlass wheel front side:

DSC_11102.jpg

And the backside:

DSC_1111.jpg

Definetly NOT hub concentric.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

Your right, I guess back in the 80's they slacked off on a few things. Some of the things they used to do on cars you wonder how people didn't get killed. At least those Olds wheels had the proper bolt pattern

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010

Yea GM is definitely NOT hubcentric, maybe only recently.

To qualify, my wheels had the holes oversized and then bushed. Not sure what they are bushed with, probably aluminum (since the wheels are aluminum). They were oversized on the 4-3/4 circle instead of the 120. So they dont vibrate, and have been driven in excess of 100mph with no vibration. The previous owner had it done, when his firebird was experiencing vibrations.

I used a 1/4" spacer with them on my firebird. I usually only use spacers if the car has longer studs. For all the people petrified of spacers, the 1LE F-bodies in the 3rd generation cam stock with spacers to clearance the IROC rims correctly.

565, yea the aero mirrors are pretty useless. You have to really lean forward to see out of them.

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada

I have ran 5x4.5 (114.3) on my 5x115 FWD GM for 11 years now. No issues. 0.7mm difference on diameter, 0.35mm difference on radius. I am on a national FWD grand prix forum and I have not heard of any breakage problems due to the incorrect wheels, just vibration if you don't torque each stud equally and in a star pattern.

The G Body is even closer 5x4.75 (120.65) to the BMW 5x120, 0.65mm in diameter difference.

I am not arguing they are correct, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them at all. Everybody has to make up their own minds on what they want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor