Anybody running a welded rear end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmoneymr2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 5, 2011
I got a 1987 olds cutlass supreme and I'm running a 406 SBC with a 700R4 transmission motor is probably putting out about 400 lb ft. I was wondering if anybody has welded up the 10 bolt 7.5 rear end in there G-body to make it a locker? And if they have how long did it last or is it lasting and how much trouble is it giving you? I have factory size tires and everything and the car will be driven on a daily basis as a street car just wondering if the 26 spline axles stand a chance?

kyhunter89

Greasemonkey
Jul 27, 2007
KY
im wondering about this aswell, but wont be on street much with about 300hp.

bfurches

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2011
My 81 caprice had an 8.5" 10 bolt that I welded up. Sustained 1.7-1.8 60's pretty good for about 2 months, then I ost an axle on the street....

dbe520a7.jpg

If you are making that much torque with a stock c-clip rear, the diff is not going to be your problem.

tmoneymr2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 5, 2011
That answers my question if a 8.5 wont last with 28-30 spline axles on the street I'm no longer even thinking about breaking the welder out on my piddly *ss 7.5 guess i just have to save up some dough and do it the right way...time to buy stock in eaton...

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
and a fully locked rear is not good on the street, especially when it rains. you're much better off with a good posi unit. (remember posi really means limited slip)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
at the track we use to run at would not allow spools or posi so we welded the gears. The 7.5 lasted for ever but the axles didn't..if I was going to run a 7.5 on the street I'd upgrade the axles to 28 spline and run a locker

Oct 7, 2011
I have a 78 Cutlass with a 7.5 373 that is welded. (I bought it like this). I have made about 10-15 12.50 passes (1.80 60 ft)on it but I'm not going to press my luck, it will come out this winter and get a 8.5 or A body 12 bolt. I do not trust it at all. I just wanted to see what it would run before the track closes for the year.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
if the car is strictly track only, as in never being on the street than you go weld it, but if you ever drive on the street than do not ever weld it!

With a welded rear your tires cannot spin at different speeds that it has to do when taking a corner and if they cant spin at different speeds then say goodbye to an axle or worse the car when that axle come apart sometimes taking the wheel with it and the car slams to the ground skidding to a stop.

and yes they do make lockers for the 7.5 rear axle

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor