anybody try this system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC$$

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2007
pawtucket, ri
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

i would like to buy this for my 86 monte ss, and use flowmasters, along with hooker long tubes i bought. sound good for the stock 3o5? i have a crossmember i bought off a guy for 20$, it has one notch on it, is that correct?

montecarlo78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I have the jegs true dual exhaust for dynomax headers. It was 190ish shipped. I was going to change out the mufflers that came with it but i like the way it sounds. Everyone does flowmasters be different. Hookers would probably not be a direct bolt in but it might be close enough.

As far as the crossmember goes, a picture would help.

MC$$

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2007
pawtucket, ri
montecarlo78 said:
I have the jegs true dual exhaust for dynomax headers. Everyone does flowmasters be different.

As far as the crossmember goes, a picture would help.

what size is your exhaust? i want a 2 1/4" set up. i dont like hookers, my friend has them on his malibu, and it sounds like maliPOO to me. i have a transversal flowmaster on my 80 Z28, and i have a 40 series ho-master on my 86 iroc, and i just like the way it sounds. everyone likes flowmasters for a reason buddy. the only other muffler i would choose would be magnaflow. i had an 87 iroc with a magnaflow, and i really liked it. magnaflow is big money too. idk, ok here is a pic of my member, i mean cross member:

member.jpg

the rusty part is the notch

montecarlo78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Mesa, AZ
That picture looks like alot of crossmembers that i have seen. The only downside is, what if the exhaust misses the clearanced section. An exhaust shop can probably make it work but a mail order kit might not.

What transmission do you have in your SS? I'm almost certain thats a TH350 crossmember. If you are running an overdrive it will not work. Can anyone confirm my suspicion?

As far as everyone liking Flowmasters, I dont.

KMac

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2007
I agree on flowmasters, i can't stand them... I put one on my jeep and it sounds great, but i hated the sound from it on my 307, made it sound like a truck.

As for the crossmember, buying the kit online is risky because it might not fit in that slot, whereas an exhaust shop can probably do about the same exhaust, just make the notch work better.

MC$$

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2007
pawtucket, ri
i have a 200r4 transmission with a shift kit.

i thought about taking it to shop for a custom exhaust, and you guys are making it sound like an ever better idea. thanks.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I like Flowmasters on some cars, but the 2.5 in duals on my AMC are LOUD!!! It sounds cool at idle and will wake the dead, but the drone at speed is hard to live with. I have a 3 in split to 2.25 in dual setup on my SBC powered Cutlass with Walker Dynomax mufflers and like the way it sounds much better. Quieter and without the resonance ( but the Olds has Overdrive and 3.23's vs the AMC's 3 speed 727 Torqueflite and 3.54's). Even without an interior or any sound deadener it is pretty quiet. I hear more road noise and wind noise than I do exhaust.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor