anyone convert dash cluster to led?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
has anyone converted their gauge cluster to led bulbs? if so where did you get the bulbs? also pics and any steps you took to do so would be greatly appreciated

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
3XBrownCutty said:
Many people have asked how to do this, but never saw any results... Do Work!!
http://tech.oldsgmail.com/eint_ledclus.php

That's kind of a sloppy way of doing it, there has to be a better way. At least be able to power them through the dash connector and not run seperate power and ground wires.

Attachments

• IMAG3447.jpg
    IMAG3447.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 190

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
what i was looking into was ordering through super bright leds. my question is whast is the base type of our stock bulb. are our stock bulbs 194 or 168? i think what i am going to do is measure the hole and how deep i can go and order the largest led bulb that replaces the 194 wedge bulb and solder them in the sockets, and see what happens. they already come setup for 12v systems which is nice.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Another handy tip I heard is to scuff up the surface of the led with sandpaper or something, that way the light Isn't as concentrated to just one spot...

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
really? i have never heard of this

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
3XBrownCutty said:
Another handy tip I heard is to scuff up the surface of the led with sandpaper or something, that way the light Isn't as concentrated to just one spot...

Yes this is very true with LEDs. I use them as a 'moon light' in my aquariums. At night it actually looked like a blue spotlight was shining in my tank. But after I sanded them a bit, the light spread out and filled the whole tank with blue light.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I just put in a set of MCSS gauges into my 79' Malibu. While I had the cluster out, I swapped from traditional bulbs to 4-LED bulbs in the original sockets. I've done this mod to my 01' S10, and had to spread the LED's base legs to fit the bulb socket. But on the older sockets, you can simply slip the bulbs in. It doesn't look as good as the red ones I have in my truck and I think it's for two reasons.

1. The bulbs I put in the Malibu cluster were from www.superbrightleds.com. As a previous poster said, they emit light in one direction. The bulbs I put in my S10's cluster were from www.v-leds.com. They are a little more expensive but they look a million times better. Once this last week of school is up and I get back to work, I'd like to buy a set of light blue ones from vleds and try them in the Malibu.

2. The cluster overlay on the Malibu doesn't seal the speedo from the tach, and the accessory gauges from eachother. I think some light "bleeds" into the next gauge, creating a few spots where it's too bright, and too dim. Maybe I'll take some thin weatherstrip and try to seal the gauges to see what advantage can be made.

If anyone wants pictures let me know, the Malibu one is kind of dark though. I have to dig through my hard drive to find them.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I would like to see.

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
If you go to www.thirdgen.org and then go to the "interior" section, a bunch of guys have done this to their f-bodies. There are a couple of really good threads on LED gauges, including sources and lots of pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor