Anyone done a LS1 engine and 6-speed in a 78+ Malibu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

83wagon8r

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 6, 2008
East Bay
I want to do my 78 malibu with a ls1 and a 6-speed and was wondering if anyone on the forum did it yet or is in the process of doing so. I Need some help. Thanks

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
DO IT! ls1 engines are so bad *ss! i do not know about motor mounts, but you can get a just engine wiring harness and splice it in with your old one. there is a guy on here that did it in a Monte Carlo, hopefully he can give you some pointers, that would be the coolest swap ever!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If I had the money, I would do it in a heartbeat. Great idle quality, fuel economy, and oh yeah....did I mention the power? It would make for a fast G body you could actually DRIVE on a regular basis. There is something about an engine that would allow for 25+mpg hwy in an 11 second car....

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Someone posted a link to a complete pictured step by step job by a professional shop putting a new 6.2 with the new 6 speed auto in a Grand Prix 2+2.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
I am currently doing an LS1 6 spd swap on an 81 Monte Carlo. I would be glad to help you out. Ask any question you want.

The bible for these swaps is John Bzdel's site. He has since upgraded to an LS7. He has links to step by step trial and error documentation of his swap. I have found it extremely useful.
http://home.earthlink.net/~bzdel/

I have documented some of my stuff on my car domain site. I have not updated it for a while, but here it is.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2509921

83wagon8r

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 6, 2008
East Bay
Thanks for the replys guys I'm looking foward to doing my swap. Thanks for the info. and i will be posting pictures of the progress. You guys think i will be able to make the ac and heater work? I will post pictures of the car the way it is right now before the swap later tonight. Thanks

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
You will be able to keep the heat and air. You may have to relocate the Air Cond. Compressor, depending on what engine mounts you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor