Rear Captain Seats has anyone ever seen or done it?

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Ive always wondered about these out of a Pontiac G6 convertible. I think these are the optional seat packages, maybe only on the GT and/or GXP. Saw them at the pull n save a while back but never got to checking them out . Looks like itd take some fab work for sure but overall wouldnt be a bad upgrade.

lrg-1898-07g6_cc_8-1898.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

BooRadley21

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 20, 2022
some clarification here. if it is free standing in the 2nd row, I would consider it a Captains chair. if it is molded into the back area where the bench normally resides, I would consider it a "built-in bucket seat" if it is shaped that way, just like the GTO seats that 565bbchevy posted

this list of pics here will give you an idea of what some consider buckets

Thanks 86LK. Your on point. Your pin didn’t work. You may have accidentally deleted a letter?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have early W body cutlass seats in my GP. They fit very nicely.

Certain W bodies, like the 89 GPturbo had captains chairs in the back. Needs some fab of course but it would be doable.
1686680708146.png

Reactions: 5 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I remember seeing someone with a Gbody that installed GTO seats front and back but it took some fabrication to get the rears to fit.
f20042006_Pontiac_GTO_Leather_Bucket_Seat_5b4665621131c.jpg
If my memory serves, that seat setup was on an '86 Monte SS, that was featured in Hemmings Muscle Machines years ago. He used the GTO seats in the front (they're a tight fit, but they do work, or so it says in the article), and he used the back seat from a '90s Cadillac Eldorado. The Eldo seat took some considerable modification, and he basically built a "hybrid" seat frame, using the original Monte back seat frame, and part of the Eldo rear seat frame combined, with new padding and a custom seat cover. I've looked at rear seats from early '90s FWD Cutlass convertibles, but I don't know if they're even close, and I have the back seat from a '93 Bonneville SSEi to try some time. I know that the Bonneville rear seat isn't like individual buckets, but it is much more contoured than a stock G body rear seat, and it is close to being the same width and height.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor