Rear Captain Seats has anyone ever seen or done it?

BooRadley21

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 20, 2022
I’m just curious here. Has anyone ever seen or done a g body rear captain or “bucket” seat. I’ve seen it in a custom interior at a car show. It wasn’t a g body. But it looked neat. He had shoulder harnesses in all the seats. Keeping his family safe I guess! ??

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I’m just curious here. Has anyone ever seen or done a g body rear bucket seat. I’ve seen it in a custom interior at a car show. It wasn’t a g body. But it looked neat. He had shoulder harnesses in all the seats. Keeping his family safe I guess!
Plenty of ways to do it right, I'd guess you could adapt the low seat cushions from an fbody and put a mini console, or, adapt a bench front seat armrest to cover the non-carpeted area.

Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I guess it depends on your definition of bucket seat. if the seats are individually mounted like in a Suburban, they're usually called Captains chairs. I've never seen a "bucket seat" from a sports car mounted in the back or second row. the only type of "2nd row bucket" I've ever seen is what's in the back seat of a Camaro or Mustang.

Ford%20Mustang%20Mach%201%20UK%202021-6.jpg

2022-chevrolet-camaro-convertible-rear-passenger-seats-carbuzz-766674-1600.jpg

BooRadley21

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 20, 2022
I guess it depends on your definition of bucket seat. if the seats are individually mounted like in a Suburban, they're usually called Captains chairs. I've never seen a "bucket seat" from a sports car mounted in the back or second row. the only type of "2nd row bucket" I've ever seen is what's in the back seat of a Camaro or Mustang.

Ford%20Mustang%20Mach%201%20UK%202021-6.jpg

2022-chevrolet-camaro-convertible-rear-passenger-seats-carbuzz-766674-1600.jpg
Yes this is exactly what I’m talking about. So they are called rear captain seats. I had no idea. The damn car who did it looked great. It was a mid 60s Chevrolet. I’m going to edit my initial post. Thank you sir

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I remember seeing someone with a Gbody that installed GTO seats front and back but it took some fabrication to get the rears to fit.
f20042006_Pontiac_GTO_Leather_Bucket_Seat_5b4665621131c.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I remember seeing someone with a Gbody that installed GTO seats front and back but it took some fabrication to get the rears to fit.
f20042006_Pontiac_GTO_Leather_Bucket_Seat_5b4665621131c.jpg
and that rear seat is still more of a bench, isn't it?

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
Some of the most comfy rear seats ive ever seen were from the old 928 and 944 porshes.
IMG_1300.jpeg
IMG_1299.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Yes this is exactly what I’m talking about. So they are called rear captain seats. I had no idea. The damn car who did it looked great. It was a mid 60s Chevrolet. I’m going to edit my initial post. Thank you sir
some clarification here. if it is free standing in the 2nd row, I would consider it a Captains chair. if it is molded into the back area where the bench normally resides, I would consider it a "built-in bucket seat" if it is shaped that way, just like the GTO seats that 565bbchevy posted

this list of pics here will give you an idea of what some consider buckets

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
I've seen rear bucket put in about 500 G-Bodies. If you branch over to the candy paint/big rim/custom interior world of Gbodies, hundreds of people have had full interior swaps from luxury cars in addition to custom frame/foam up bucket seats in the back.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor