Anyone ever set up a G body for Drift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Sorry, but it looks like a lot of fun and I was wondering if anyone has ever seriously tried to drift a G body? Burnouts are cool, but being able to drift at the same time looks like it would be so much better.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
i think there is an el camino that does i would have to look into it though

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
anything with enough power and someone who knows what they're doing could do it

i dont see how much "setup" there is....big power, car control
it's almost like driving in winter :)

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Dual calipers in the rear, 1 for hyd brakes and 1 for hand brakes.
Short steering arms up front and aftermarket spindles.
Quick ratio steering box
Lots of power helps, too.

I would like to see it done.

Dustin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2007
Tallahassee, FL
illregal82 said:
whats the shortest gbody ? that one would be the best one , right .
yes and no. shorter wheel base would mean more snap to oversteer, but couple that with decent power, and that's spin city. any decent platform, with a mildly stiff suspension, and enough power to break 'em loose in third can drift. if you're willing to control it.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I think I saw that El Camino in Hot Rod a year or so ago, and I thought it was cool.I just wonder what it would cost to do it, not that I can afford it right now, as I think it would be a fun thing to try. My alternative ( being a big Nissan fan after all!) would be a 240sx with a twist: Carburated LS1 power. It does not present a significant weight increase over the stock KA24DE ( or JDM SR20DET) and would make more power with better reliability due to reduced complication.Or, an old FD RX-7 with the same swap. I figure the chassis dynamics of either of those cars would make it easier to start with, but I still think it would be cool to set up an old G body beater with tons of power and minor chassis tweaks to make it work. ( Sorry for the import content but I really don't care where a car is from, as long as it serves it's purpose and I find it interesting)

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
SPEED did a show on Rhys Millens GTO a while back, and while I'm not a fan of Imports and what they stand for, I do find this topic very interesting. G-Bodies def. are not designed for it, but who can resist changing it around a little bit,. If anyone runs across more info on it, post a link. I'm not gonna do it right now, but I am still intrigued.

79Hurst/Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2007
Omaha, Nebraska
I remember when drifting was called Autocrossing on Street Tires!!! :p

Anyhow, there were some brothers that had an Olds wagon that they Autocrossed and they were very low budget. usually running on used street tires that they bought cheap so the back end would come around alot often giving a similar albeit unwanted result similar to what the drifters are trying to acheive. I agree that drifting looks fun, but I am an old fart who has spent too many years trying to keep cars from doing that!!!

Have fun if you do it!!!

nabob_blaster

Apprentice
Jul 22, 2007
drifting is like going 8 seconds if it is done right try going a 100 sideway in a frwd not gonna happen easily drifting is far superior to autocross in some ways but in a real race they can only show off

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor