Anyone familiar with Foxbody cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for your suggestions, Steve.
I will give it the old college try today....thanks again. I'll let you know what I find.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I wish I did what I suggested when I have an issue recently when I through it was my red top battery, I ran around the block a few times before I went back to the basics..:doh:

Reactions: 1 user

Michaelweez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2016
Didn't read all the replies but I have a fox mustang and when I initially bought it I was having electrical issues which turned out to be directly related to "fusible links". Mine is a 93 so I'm sure the wiring is quite a bit different but you may want to jump on a fox forum to see if you can find a 1981 wiring diagram.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Well guys, I'm embarrassed to say. It was a simple, stupid problem that I overlooked. A poorly connecting battery cable terminal.
Steve, I did end up using the jumper cable method and it worked like a charm. It essentially bypassed the positive cable to the starter relay and ground to ground.

Oldsmobile Joe was kinda on the money in regard to add-on cable connectors.
I took that small length of positive battery cable off and removed the bolt-on end. When I looked at it, I understood right away why this thing wasn't getting a good connection.
The terminals are painted...:wtf: Well, I ended up filing out the connector and made sure the cable fit the connector nicely. Put it back on the car and it spun the engine over quickly.

Working on cars for over 50 yrs and a simple thing can trip you up. :oops:o_O:confused:

Thanks again for all your input, guys. As much as I feel foolish, I'm glad it's finally resolved.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor