Anyone just keeping it stock to cruise around anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B C Rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2016
The more I read on the internet the more I notice that trends are the increase the handling and power and go as fast as possible. Anyone else just like to keep the cars the way they where and cruse around with no real place to go? I have an Monte Carlo LS and the 4.3 is plenty powerful to just cruse around in. With the fuel injection the gas mileage is acceptable, even better than my daily driver truck. Car rides differently than any modern car. It has one finger steering. No screens to deal with. I can fix it without expensive brand specific tools (still use it as an excuse to buy more tools ;)).

I have nothing against improving a car's power etc. Just seems to be the minority leaving things as they where. Anyone else just running theirs with no plans to change it other than to maintain it?
My 85 442 is bone stock - they’re only original once. It’s a great way to go time-traveling!

Attachments

• 93A833E2-51D9-4783-9880-5417E860451D.jpeg
    93A833E2-51D9-4783-9880-5417E860451D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
I like to upgrade stuff, but with age and knowledge I realized its better to use as many factory upgrade parts even from other models and brands, but its still factory stuff. the big 3 spent millions of dollars on Rand D for factory parts, you can bet most aftermarket parts dont have nearly the time and effort with testing. plus factory parts are cheap.

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 21, 2021
I say whatever your taste and/or budget allows is fine. It's your car. That being said, I'm the original owner of an 85 Monte Carlo SS. I basically bought it for it's looks but always felt it should have been available with a 350 and manual transmission. I somehow managed to hang on to this car all these years and finally my budget allowed me to install a 350/330 HP crate motor and a Silver Sport Transmissions Tremec 5 speed. I now feel like I'm driving a late 60s muscle car that's in an 85 body. I always liked this MCSS but now I love it. It's like owning a different car.

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My 85 442 is bone stock - they’re only original once. It’s a great way to go time-traveling!
Bone stock as in everything under the hood is OE?? If so, we need to talk about some things. 85 442 specific stuff.

Reactions: 1 users

Craig Cunningham

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2018
Mine is all original (even most of the paint), except for wheels and springs. Probably doing drop spindles as well, but that is all I have planned.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Mine is all original (even most of the paint), except for wheels and springs. Probably doing drop spindles as well, but that is all I have planned.
From my personal experience, the front drop is either springs or spindles. The inner fenders get in the way.

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
All stock staying that way. I drive it like I stole it

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2613.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2613.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 82
  • running1.jpg
    running1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: 2 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
To each their own I guess. I prefer stock, yet have a respect for someone who pours their heart and soul into a build. There is something special about going to a show/ cruise and see an all original car though, i tend to migrate to those first, its getting harder to find these days!! Something to keep in mind when building or modifying ANY car, it truly limits your market when your reedy to part ways, because there are still people who want an unmolested car to do what THEY want, yet a modestly and tasteful upgrade here and there won't hurt values one bit.

I know this may be off kilter here, but reminds me of my late cousin and his crotch rocket obsession with modifying to go faster and faster. He would buy a brand new Honda 1100 RR every couple years, take it to his local racing shop and dump 5 to 7 grand into modifications to make it the fastest possible, it truly gets to the point of stupidity with anything, where these days can you actually go this fast SAFELY?? Yeah there are street strip cars but we are totally talking an entire different class of mods.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor