anyone know anything about this cutlass...

Status
Not open for further replies.
85salonn442 said:
Some Cutlass' came without the chrome trim, I had a two-tone brown & gold 85 supreme that had no chrome at all. Also EVERY Cutlass came with a sway bar so if yours doesn't have one it was more than likely removed. So far as the wheels there nothing but regular rally wheels 14s at that so its nothing special. The guage must've been something the owner did.

Most didnt come with a rear sway bar.

81cutlass said:
Nope, not all had a rear swaybar. Actually, it is the rarity to have a rear bar. Only time you got a rear bar is if you ordered the F41 packages, what a Salon, Calais, 442 or HO had, or if you had a supreme/brougham and added the F41 as an option. If it has a 4 bolt quick ratio box, it may also have a rear bar. Dont know what that option code was but ive found a few like that. My 84 supreme parts car had a factory quick ratio box and rear swaybar.

My 81 supreme didnt have a rear bar when I got it, and neither did my 85 Salon.

If every cutlass you see has a rear bar, id be super suprised.

And that car reminds me of a local one, one of those "coach builder" cars. No rear windows, wierd options, ect. The trim could have been painted from the factory that color judging by the sticker on the back. It could be a poorly painted home custom though.

I remember that car. Had a big metal strip across the top. Was that you that posted that on here??...man that thing was weird.

i have an autobody shop. these parts are factory black. i had an 83 hurst olds before and they look like that type of plastic parts under the black paint. the bezels and stuff were never chrome.

cdg1984 said:
81cutlass said:
Nope, not all had a rear swaybar. Actually, it is the rarity to have a rear bar. Only time you got a rear bar is if you ordered the F41 packages, what a Salon, Calais, 442 or HO had, or if you had a supreme/brougham and added the F41 as an option. If it has a 4 bolt quick ratio box, it may also have a rear bar. Dont know what that option code was but ive found a few like that. My 84 supreme parts car had a factory quick ratio box and rear swaybar.

My 81 supreme didnt have a rear bar when I got it, and neither did my 85 Salon.

If every cutlass you see has a rear bar, id be super suprised.

And that car reminds me of a local one, one of those "coach builder" cars. No rear windows, wierd options, ect. The trim could have been painted from the factory that color judging by the sticker on the back. It could be a poorly painted home custom though.

I remember that car. Had a big metal strip across the top. Was that you that posted that on here??...man that thing was weird.

I think your thinking of the 80 cutlass Xtreme. Had a stainless steel band instead of vinal top. One locally here is a black 85 salon with a sand gray bucket/console interior and has a coach builder vinal top that had the rear quarter windows blocked off.

Keep forgetting to take a picture of that 85 salon. Would be a great parts car as its rusted out completly, but the interior is nice.

damageinc2785 said:
i have an autobody shop. these parts are factory black. i had an 83 hurst olds before and they look like that type of plastic parts under the black paint. the bezels and stuff were never chrome.
Find the owner and ask to take a picture of the RPO Tag on the trunk lid.
The car came to the Coachworks company as a regular Cutlass Brougham and they went and did all the modification thereafter, GM doesn't make special models for private companies.
Most likely the Coachworks company blasted or chemically etched all the METAL chrome and painted it, looks like chrome under the chips because I have GN black window and upper door trim and it doesn't look like that when it scratches and it doesn't chip like that, I believe GM black annodizes them.
The metal trim was certianly modified or painted by the coach builder or they could have ordered all the trim pieces unchromed seperately from GM and then painted and replaced all the chrome trim themselves because they certainly did modify/fill the header emblem/hood ornament area on the header panel.
Also, the plastic headlight and tail light bezels and bumpers could have been leftovers from the 84 Hursts and 83 Hursts but again the bumpers look like they used to have chrome underneath that was chemically etched etc... the bumpers on the 84 Hurst didn't chip like that. If they came black from GM they would have done a better job painting them so as not to chip like that, the Coach Builder would have applied the paint in a different manner. The plastic grilles and bezels could also have been dipped in boric acid (I believe) to remove the chrome plating or they reqested these parts like that from GM so they could paint themselves and then remove the chrome parts and replace with their modified parts.
Some better pictures of the trim would help ID it better.

is it a special model?

Doesn't look special to me. I you wanna know more, ask the original owner. Looks like just another used Brougham to me-with an 80's 'conversion'. if it runs and drives it's worth $500. jmo

I am led to believe that it is just a car that was customized by a company, United Custom Coach. I know Chevy vans got done by custom coach places all the time, that's why you see them with body kits, TV's, and trim lighting inside. I would do some research about the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor