Anyone know the specs for factory speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike T

Greasemonkey
Mar 25, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
Its not MRS, its RMS and it stands for the continuous power rating of a speaker. A speaker with a 40 watt RMS can continuously play at 40 watts and remain within the limits of its Total Harmonic Distortion and performance limits. That doesn't mean the speaker can't handle short "bursts" of higher level power, just that it can't live there. Yes a 40watt RMS speaker will play just fine on a 75 watt RMS amp, until you turn the Gain up too far past the equivalent of 40 watts and leave it there. At that level, sooner or later, you will cook the speaker.

With respect to speaker size, base waves are much "wider" than mids or highs. (More bandwidth) When the sound travels to the speaker from the amp, the base signal moves the coil much farther in both directions than the mids or highs.Base tones require more speaker flex to be produced than mids or highs. They also require significantly more power than mids or highs. That's why the industry has moved to separating the base sound from the mids and highs. It requires exponentially more power for clean, intense base and removing the base allows the mids and highs to be much cleaner because much the smaller sound waves they produce sound better on cones that don't have nearly as much flex or surface area. That's one reason why you don't see 15" - 20" midrange speakers. (Unless it's a 100,000+ concert venue)

All other things being equal, a 6x9 will make "better" (as in cleaner) and more intense base sound than a 4x10 because the narrow side of the speaker is wider and can flex more. That's why dedicated sub-woofers are always round, equal cone travel around the whole speaker makes a cleaner wave. Any other shape, is a compromise, not an improvement.

upload_2018-3-28_13-40-41.png

Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
:popcorn:

physics guy and radio man here lurking. also lets keep it civil if we can, thx.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Wow lol I have no idea what you guys are talking about but you shore are passionate about speakers! Somebody put a damn radio in my truck please. I got a hole pile of stereo crap for it and no clue so you guys can fight wile your installing lol I thought this thread was about the paper and dog food that came in our dashboards and package trays?

• Haha

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Its not MRS, its RMS and it stands for the continuous power rating of a speaker. A speaker with a 40 watt RMS can continuously play at 40 watts and remain within the limits of its Total Harmonic Distortion and performance limits. That doesn't mean the speaker can't handle short "bursts" of higher level power, just that it can't live there. Yes a 40watt RMS speaker will play just fine on a 75 watt RMS amp, until you turn the Gain up too far past the equivalent of 40 watts and leave it there. At that level, sooner or later, you will cook the speaker.

With respect to speaker size, base waves are much "wider" than mids or highs. (More bandwidth) When the sound travels to the speaker from the amp, the base signal moves the coil much farther in both directions than the mids or highs.Base tones require more speaker flex to be produced than mids or highs. They also require significantly more power than mids or highs. That's why the industry has moved to separating the base sound from the mids and highs. It requires exponentially more power for clean, intense base and removing the base allows the mids and highs to be much cleaner because much the smaller sound waves they produce sound better on cones that don't have nearly as much flex or surface area. That's one reason why you don't see 15" - 20" midrange speakers. (Unless it's a 100,000+ concert venue)

All other things being equal, a 6x9 will make "better" (as in cleaner) and more intense base sound than a 4x10 because the narrow side of the speaker is wider and can flex more. That's why dedicated sub-woofers are always round, equal cone travel around the whole speaker makes a cleaner wave. Any other shape, is a compromise, not an improvement.

View attachment 85466
That's what I'm tryin' to tell ya :cool:

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
:lightsab:so does anyone have the Metra part number?

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
because if you are a gentleman ladies always come first :banana:

• Haha

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
And to answer my own question, Metra 82-4000 was discontinued so I bought the cheap Amazon one instead of the $25 pretty blue Ebay one

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor