Anyone running 2-1/4" true dual exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I have a '86 Regal that I have been considering putting true dual exhaust on. It is a 307 VIN Y. The main thing that is holding me back is the intermediate pipes. I have a pair of dual side exit (442/Grand National) tailpipes but as everyone knows forward of that it gets a bit tricky as the floorpan design doesn't provide much ground clearance. I do have a new dual exhaust transmission crossmember to install when the time comes, I just really need some input on this part.

I was thinking about getting a factory replacement (VIN 9) cat-back y/intermediate-pipe and modifying, but that still doesn't solve how to route over/around the floor pans. I do intend to run headers and dual cats if possible.

Again, any input would be appreciated, it's time to get rolling again with the old girl.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I havent seen 2 1/4" but I have a 2 1/2" true dual setup on mine. Not sure if that helps or not :lol:

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
X2 on the 2.5". got mine from Jegs, whole kit.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have 2.5" SS custom system on my car, got it done at a muffler shop who sponsors late models. They say they could have put a 3" but it's tricky to get it over the axle

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Yes it appears most people go to 2-1/2". I'm wondering though, if using a 2-1/2" intermediate pipe (stepping down from 3" header collector/cats) would work well. I've looked into that too but haven't found anyone who sells just the intermediate section. Any out there, or do any of you guys have pictures of how they were routed? I could always use generic pipe but it seems like there is never a correct contour where you need it. I don't think there are any pipe bending places around here...that gives me an idea, but that's another topic for another day.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
[ if using a 2-1/2" intermediate pipe (stepping down from 3" header collector/cats) would work well.

your engine isn't making enough HP (140) or torque to need to worry about diminished performance by stepping down to 2 1/2 from 3". If for no other reason, unless you intend to put a Olds 350 in it sometime in the future, you don't need to go any bigger than 2", because you still need to have good back pressure. Don't you have a Midas muffler shop around close by, most of the time you can have them do some custom stuff when they are slow and looking for something to do.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I run 2 1/2 on my Monte with GMPP 350. Even the Muffler shop I brought it to said 3" would be overkill and might actually reduce power.

MightyCarlo86

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2012
x2 that, I am running 2 1/2" dual exhaust with my ZZ4 the 2 1/4" should be more than enough and you shouldn't have any problems.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
pontiacgp said:
They say they could have put a 3" but it's tricky to get it over the axle

What was "tricky" was when I made my 4" tailpipes for over the axle on my Monte with no clearance issues.
http://youtu.be/EkXhFbqZ4UY

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 873

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
565bbchevy said:
What was "tricky" was when I made my 4" tailpipes for over the axle on my Monte with no clearance issue

I don't think I seen a nicer set up, or heard one.... :D

[youtube]EkXhFbqZ4UY[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor